10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruckin78

Reaction score
So my plans for 2011 are to finally go all grain and step up to 10g batches.

Equipment I am planning on using 2 Blichmann banjo burners, 2 converted keggels, Coleman 58qt Xtreme Marine cooler for a MLT when it arrives. All built on a 3 tier "stair" style stand.

I have contacted my LHBS and found out they will do bulk grain orders, 2 Row for $45-$50 for a 50lb, Specialty and Imports are a bit more, but I think under/right at a $ a pound is fair.

So, my question is, What are you guys paying per 10g batch of beer?

currently with extract I can do 5 gal for ~$25-$40 depending on style. Hoping I can stay around that same price for a 10G all grain batch, since effectively the base malt is half the price (2row ~$1lb, vs. LME $2.50lb). Some increases are expected of course, double the hops (which I can also buy bulk from hops direct), and double the yeast, but hopefully yeast washing and starters will work well for me!

Also think I will have any issues doing 10g batches with the above mentioned set up?

I would guess that you can save money on hops by using high AA% for bittering no matter what you use for aroma, if the hops are roughly the same price. I'm pretty sure you couldn't cut your hops price in half, but it could theoretically work out in your favor to some extent.

Example: instead of using 1 full oz. of 5% cascade at the 60 min. left point, you could use a half ounce of centennial or something.

I've never done it that way, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I pay $35 for a sack (50 pounds) of US 2 row if I can get it in bulk. I buy my hops from hopsdirect.com, and they vary from $8-$12 a pound. I also grow my own cascades, so that saves a ton of money. I wash and save liquid yeast.

The last 10 gallon batch I did was a SNPA-ish beer, using magnum for bittering and homegrown cascades for aroma/flavor/dryhop and washed yeast. It was a total of $24, if my math is correct.

I pay $35 for a sack (50 pounds) of US 2 row if I can get it in bulk. I buy my hops from hopsdirect.com, and they vary from $8-$12 a pound. I also grow my own cascades, so that saves a ton of money. I wash and save liquid yeast.

The last 10 gallon batch I did was a SNPA-ish beer, using magnum for bittering and homegrown cascades for aroma/flavor/dryhop and washed yeast. It was a total of $24, if my math is correct.

Awesome I was shooting for $30-$50 per 10G batch....Will my proposed equipment suffice for my plans? The only equipment I currently have for all grain is 1 unconverted AB keg, and the 58qt Xtreme Cooler (ordered has not arrived)

I'm not nearly as efficient with my processes, but am buying bulk wherever I can. I brew pretty high-gravity stuff (average around 1.070 on most) and figure ingredients run me about $40 per 10g batch. No yeast recycling, but I use primarily dry anyway. I just jumped on the NNJ/NY group buy and am happily waiting for 165lbs of base grain that I paid roughly $0.68 per lb for, shipping included.

About 30-35 bucks for 10 gallons of finished beer. Just buy in bulk and reuse yeast from time to time and you can keep it on the cheap side.

.Will my proposed equipment suffice for my plans? The only equipment I currently have for all grain is 1 unconverted AB keg, and the 58qt Xtreme Cooler (ordered has not arrived)

Yeah seems fine. Might want to look at keeping it on one level and getting a March Pump though. That's my next step. You start putting CF chillers and hop backs under your kettle and you can climb pretty high quickly.

Yeah seems fine. Might want to look at keeping it on one level and getting a March Pump though. That's my next step. You start putting CF chillers and hop backs under your kettle and you can climb pretty high quickly.

Yeah, main reason for going tiered is to get around using a pump, but i'll eventually end up getting one :):)

babysteps lol

Yeah, main reason for going tiered is to get around using a pump, but i'll eventually end up getting one

Yeah I was thinking the same thing before I spent 80 bucks on a stand and saw I could have gotten a pump for 140 and will need another stand. But gravity is working for me at the moment. Waiting on Santa now before I make the switch.

Back