Fermentap Weldless Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? I'd like to add it to my 10 gal. SS brewpot, but I wanted to know how well it holds up. Seems like even high temp o-rings wouldn't survive too long.

I'm not familiar with Fermentap spigot, but a properly designed and installed weldless fitting should have the O-ring on the inside of the kettle where it will never be exposed to temperatures higher than the 212F boiling wort so long as there is liquid in the kettle. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

Silicon o-rings are rated for like 250F. Can't say I've seen the fermcap weldless used but they look exactly like the one from Bargain Fittings or any other store, so I'd guess they would work. Probably cost too much though.

Silicone o-rings are rated into the 400 degree mark. You will not get failure as long as you put liquid in when heating. The water prevents the o-rings from getting much over 200 degrees.

Old post I know but just a heads up. I got a Fermentap spigot and after 3 hours gave up on trying to get a seal and my brew day is shot.

I did every thing perfect and still no seal. I started of hand tightening it all the way up to pipe wrench.

Not impressed. I am taking it all to my LHBS tomorrow with hope that it had some defect.

:mad:

Latest posts

Back