How about an Amber Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a good recipe for an Amber Ale? I'm looking for a nice light beer (no, I'm not talking bud here...). For the most part, I'm a big fan of Pilsners, but I'm not quite ready to lager so I'm looking for the closest thing in an ale. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the Amber Ale that I just recently did. Nice beer, great color, excellent head retension.

5.5 lbs Light Dry Malt
3/4 lbs Vienna Malt
1/3 lb Crystal 80L
2 tsp. Gypsum
3/4 oz tettnang (60 minute boil)
1 1/2 oz Tettnang (Last 10 Minutes)
1/2 oz (end of boil)
Wyeast 1056

O.G.: 1.051 - 1.056
F.G.: 1.010 - 1.015

I'm thinking that I ended up using Cascade Hops for this recipe, but regardless, I think that it turned out pretty good. Next time I think that I'll try to hop it up a bit more, but I will make this Amber Ale again.

Wouldn't a kolsch work well for what you describe. I've never done one, but I think that it matches the description you provide.

A really easy Amber recipe is just your base malt plus:
1 lb crystal (40L-75L) depending on the color you're aiming for
1 oz Northern Brewer (60)
.5 oz Cascade (15)
.5 oz Cascade (5)

Lil' Sparky said:
A really easy Amber recipe is just your base malt plus:
1 lb crystal (40L-75L) depending on the color you're aiming for
1 oz Northern Brewer (60)
.5 oz Cascade (15)
.5 oz Cascade (5)

Could not have said it better myself. Almost exactly what I posted on a request for an extract version. If you a looking for a German flavor, brew a Pils with a clean ale yeast. This can be nothing more than 8lbs of German Pils malt and multiple additions of Saaz hops. Pils is a standard brew of mine using Pils malt and 5% wheat malt. I will change up my hops, some noble some not, just depends on my mood.

Since I had to edit my post due to spelling I will add a comment to the recipe. If brewing a Pils using an ale yeast, I would to make sure to add the 5% wheat or dextrine malt. From my readings, Pils get their classic head from extended cold conditioning and body from decoction mashing. If making an ale using a single infusion, I would be inclined to add something to help fill that void.

Sweet, thanks guys... I think I'll go with a Pale Ale for my next one and see how that goes... BTW, my wife is not big on the very bitter pale ales, would I just reduce the amount of bittering hopps or would I reduce the amount of time in the boil to make it less bitter?

dude your at ground zero for an sf lager yeast! When i lived in sf id make cali commons all the time, either make a kolsh type beer, or a common type.

its basically just a pale ale using northern brewer hops, and the sf lager yeast @ 55-65 degrees.

theres many ways to reduce the percieved bitterness: use less hops, use low alpha acid types for bittering, increase the crystal, boil for less. (i wouldnt boil for less, i think its easier to control amount then time...)

Like Bjorn said, there's several ways to change the hop/bitterness profile.

Not all pale ales are really bitter. I don't really care for IPAs, but I do like "hoppy" beer that isn't bitter. The last pale ale I made had 1 oz of Cascade for 60 mins + 1 oz at 10 mins. It's got a good hoppy flavor, but not too bitter.

Here's my Forbidden Ale recipe:

5gal recipe
50min boil
Est. SG: 1.063
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.7%

6# Light LME
3# Amber LME

Hop Schedule (IBU's: 18):
2/3oz Willamett at 50min
2/3oz Willamett at 15min
2/3oz Willamett at end of boil steeped 5min

Yeast: Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit

I fermented at 64deg. to reduce ester's from the yeast profile, yet get some sweet aromas.

Back