Keg not holding CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicyclefence

Reaction score
I kegged my DIPA a couple days ago, it poured fine the first night, it poured a little slower the following night and today it wouldn't pour at all. I checked the CO2 tank and it was completely empty (they told me I would be able to carbonate 10 or more batches with the tank, this was my 3rd). I'm assuming the CO2 is somehow leaking out of the keg, I tried venting and nothing came out then I slowly pushed down on the top to see if there was any pressure and the top came off easily. I'm on my way back to my local brew store to see if they have any solutions but I'm wondering what I should do with my beer now that it's been exposed to air. Is it still fine? Should I bottle it? This is the most money and effort I've put into a recipe, I really don't want to lose the remaining 20 liters.

one thing I do to get a good seal is turn the keg (ball lock keg) up to 30 psi initially. It will set the Oring nice and tight.

Check the lines.

I have lost pressure because my connecters (both air in. air out, and gas lines)had only been hand tight and over time they came loose.

A wrench fixed that.

I suggest to find out where the problem is it to.

1 - Wet the top O-ring.
2 - Close up the keg.
3 - Pump in 40 or 50 LBS PSI and force Carbonate.
4 - Disconnect the gas

Now you have divided up the parts that could be the problem and you can now figure out if it is the tank or the keg.

Leave the gas on and spray all connection points on the Gas system
Spray all connects on the KEG with a bottle of water and StarSan (if helps create bubbles)

Once you really know the problem you can fix it....

I have been kegging for over ten years and think I have just about screwed up every way possible...

Thank you, this is very informative! I just assumed it was an issue with the keg, I never even considered the lines. I'll do this right away, despite being exposed to oxygen - do you think I'll be able to save my beer?

Thank you, this is very informative! I just assumed it was an issue with the keg, I never even considered the lines. I'll do this right away, despite being exposed to oxygen - do you think I'll be able to save my beer?

Your welcome and I went back and correct those damn speeeling errors...

Unless you replaced your CO2 tank with and O2 tank and pumped your beer full of oxygen, your beer is fine. :mug:

Agreed with DPISME- definitely check the lines. I've had stuck poppets in the ball locks, leaky orings, bad worm claps, a HOLE in the line from rubbing. It sucks- find it before you blow through another CO2 tank.

I've had it happen twice in the past few years- I purged with co2 several times using the release and then recarbed and served. Some of the beers tasted the same as ever- others tasted like crap. The one that really tasted like crap was the one I kept opening the lid to figure out was going on with my system- I guess exposed it to too much oxygen.

In any case give a try to just recarbing, can't hurt, right?

One other thing to check is the connection between the CO2 tank and the regulator. When I first got my keg system I went through a whole 5# tank in about 12 hours. Turns out I didn't get the nylon washer that's supposed to go in there and it all leaked out. I would also get a wrench that fits the connection, hand tight isn't enough.

Does the tank gauge really mean much? I left mine open overnight and the tank gauge dropped from 800 to 775. Does this mean the tank is losing pressure? I thought I read that the tank pressure is constant while it stays in liquid form.

Tank gauge doesn't mean much, and meanings exactly nothing inside a keezer. It kind of registers in a warm environment though. Mine (5lb and 20lb) are practically in the red even when they are full.

Does the tank gauge really mean much? I left mine open overnight and the tank gauge dropped from 800 to 775. Does this mean the tank is losing pressure? I thought I read that the tank pressure is constant while it stays in liquid form.

Probably just because the tank temp dropped overnight. Means nothing.

my tank has read just above the red ever since I had it filled. It's in the keezer so it's going to read a little lower from the get go.

If you don't have easy access to keg lube, go to your local home despot or rona or etc. In the plumbing section you'll find a silicone-based grease you can use for faucets. This is essentially keg lube. It'll cost you 'bout $5 but will save you hundreds worth in headaches.

What does keg lube do? I just apply it to the big o-ring at the opening of the keg or elsewhere too?

Back