Mash Efficiency: B&S Brewer's Guild, Seabrook, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
This question is for people located in the Clear Lake, TX area of whom have bought grain at B&S Brewer's Guild in Seabrook.

I've used grains from a few different vendors and have yielded different mash efficiencies from each. This is most likely due to the different settings that each vendor has their grain mill set. Those of you who have used B&S's grain mill, what efficiencies are you getting from them? How does this compare to the efficiencies you get from other vendors? I want to take your numbers and extrapolate them onto my system and try to anticipate what efficiency I'll get so I can more accurately calculate my recipe and want to hit my SG numbers.

Thanks!

I didn';t know there was a place in Kemah to buy grain. I have been going to Defalco's on Stella Link for years. I get about 75-80% efficiency with their stuff. Tell me where the Kemah place is located and I will go there tomorrow to buy some stuff.

Yea, B&S Brewers Guild is located in Seabrook in the Clear Lake area. Here's a link to there location: http://goo.gl/maps/mxBm

Decent little shop, I tend to get all my odds and ends there, and am planning on getting my grains there for my next brew. I'll be interested in hearing what you think. :)

An fyi, theres a triathalon going on in the Clear Lake area this weekend causing major traffic delays for areas south of Clear Lake. If you're coming from I45 and are north of B&S, you should be fine. :) You can check if you'll be affected by going here to see their routes: http://goo.gl/DoWGJ
Happy brewing!

I did. Sorry, I completely forgot to respond to this. I made a British Porter last weekend, all grain from the stuff I got at B&S. I did get a little less efficiency than I expected. I expected to have an OG of 1.065 and wound up with about 1.059. I do think the crush had something to do with it since Defalco's looks like a finer crush than B&S. Is this what you are getting from there also?

Ive never bought grain from them but am doing so this week. Brewing the Pliny clone this Sunday. I'm going to plan one getting a little lower efficiency than I typically get, just in case. I'll report back with what I find. Thanks for the update! :mug:

I have purchased from there, but will no longer purchase grains.

I question their age....same with the yeast. Saw stuff in the fridge that was well over 1yr past its prime. Some of the less used grains I imagine sit around for quite some time. Certainly a non-air tight container at room isn't the best option for grain storage. Well, not best option for the customer.

I may, MAY purchase some hard goods if I am in a bind, but even then, its questionable because of the crazy pricing. With kegcowboy on Shepard, and DeFalcos, no need to shop at brewersguild. Sad part is brewers guild is about a mile away from me.

There is also Homebrew't in houston now! 2017 s. shephard. We have a walk-in cooler for our grains so the integrity wont be in question. Stop by and see us!

I have purchased from there, but will no longer purchase grains.

I question their age....same with the yeast. Saw stuff in the fridge that was well over 1yr past its prime. Some of the less used grains I imagine sit around for quite some time. Certainly a non-air tight container at room isn't the best option for grain storage. Well, not best option for the customer.

I may, MAY purchase some hard goods if I am in a bind, but even then, its questionable because of the crazy pricing. With kegcowboy on Shepard, and DeFalcos, no need to shop at brewersguild. Sad part is brewers guild is about a mile away from me.

I had a really bad experience with looking for flaked maize and getting weevils in them at B&S. I've seen first hand that they don't reseal the bags for the stuff that tends to get weevils in them, and actually witnessed an employee simply blow co2 into the vacuum bag to get the weevils dead and then place the bag back in for customer consumption. There's way cheaper places that take better care of their stuff.

Latest posts

Back