Bourbon Wood-Aged Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KettererBier

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a RIS that I'll let age for a year, and I wanted to get an opinion on the recipe I worked out. Any thoughts or suggestions you guys might have would be more than welcome.

0.5 lb Black Patent
0.5 lb Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb Flaked Oats

Steep at ~155-160 F for 30 minutes

4 lbs Amber DME
9.9 lbs Amber LME
1.25 oz Chinook pellets (60 min)
1.75 oz Chinook pellets (20 min)
1 oz Willamette pellets (5 min)

Yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, 4021 Pasteur Champagne

Add bourbon-soaked toasted oak chips for ~1 week during secondary. When adding the yeast, do two packets of Irish Ale initially, then once primary fermentation slows down goose the beer with some molasses and add the Champagne yeast to dry it out. Age in secondary for 4 weeks or so.

Target OG: 1.112
Target FG: 1.028
Target ABV: 10.8%
IBUs: 91

Thanks!

Where is your logic on the one week of chips? Just wondering. I plan on doing an all grain much like this. You think any longer would be too much? I'm sure a few days draws most the bourbon out and then the chips come out after that.

What bourbon you going to use? Are you going to soak them and let them air dry a bit, or adding them as they are dripping wet?

I oaked a Barleywine last year for about a week and it turned out pretty well. From everything I've been given to understand, the best way to go about oaking is to add the chips and then just taste the beer periodically to see how the flavor is developing. Take the chips out when you feel you've gotten it right. The week time is an estimate for this recipe.

As for bourbon and methods, I was thinking Buffalo Trace because it's got some nice vanilla tones. I was gonna toast the chips first, then keep them on the bourbon for about a month. I figured I'd probably put them in a grain bag and let them drain, and just add them when they stop dripping.

We did one bourbon oak - a russian imperial stout.

To prepare, we soaked 3oz of oak chips in a pint of Jim Beam during primary. We drained the bourbon off before adding them to the beer.

The beer tasted awesome in secondary, and were really leery to add the oak. We tasted three days later and that was more bourbon than we really wanted, and about where we wanted the oak.

If we did it again, we'd pour a shot of bourbon only on the chips, dry them, and maybe even use less oak. And let it sit longer to try and pull more vanilla notes out.

Be gentle and take your time, you can always add more, but it's tough to take out.

Okay, thanks burglar. I'll be sure to be careful with the bourbon.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the grain bill? This is only the second recipe I've invented from scratch, so I'm not really sure about how this'll work out.

Back