Reusing Yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65chevy11

Reaction score
I've been brewing AG for less than a year now and am loving it, my question is what is the propper process to reuse the yeast when your done racking your beer. Do you have to make the same beer again with that same yeast and how long does it last. Not to sound stupid but not buying so much yeast would save on brewing. Would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me the exact procedure.

Thanx

Hi Chevy! Take a look in the "fermentation/yeast" subforum, and one of the sticky threads is on "washing yeast" - lots of great info there, Bernie has a very clear way of describing how to do it.

I use this harvesting and washing method and basically buy yeast very infrequently now. I've narrowed my yeast down to three basic choices (California Ale, Edinburgh Ale and Belgian Witbier) and I keep them in my fridge - I just make a starter a few days before I intend to brew.

Back