Drinking beer out of a clay cup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
I just went to a Renaissance fare some weeks ago and i had the pleasure to drink some generic macro-lagers (which i was already very familiar with) out of clay cups.
Now, all i have to say is, the beer was very different than what i remembered it to be. The clay actually emphasized the malt, lending it an enhanced malty sweetness and a strong mineral character as well (obviously).

Anyone ever experienced this?

I'd guess the clay cups were glazed, weren't they? That's the only pottery I've ever seen or would consider for drinking purposes, so the only difference (guessing) would be the different thermal characteristics of clay vs. glass vs. metal.

Were they more like the big stein-sized mugs? Big cups will get your nose in the glass when you take a sip. That really seems to bring out the maltiness of a brew. I discovered the same effect when drinking the same beer out of a Belgian Tulip shaped glass versus a tall Pilsner glass.

I have several Faire mugs and I'll agree that a larger mug (in my case, the wooden one) makes for better flavor. Newcastle just doesn't taste right without a layer of faire dust, though.

Back