Converting a kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
I have two kits ready to brew this weekend, both from NB
Caribou Slobber
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/caribou-slobber-extract-kit.html
And Honey Brown Ale
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/honey-brown-ale-extract-kit.html

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on additions to these that I might include to add a little "holiday" twist to either. I am fine brewing both as is but this will likely be my last chance to brew something for the holidays and was just curious if I should brew both as is or if there any ideas to spice one up ...
I'm still a noob with just three batches in. My history thus far has all been kits:
Irish Red from Midwest. Result: I made this? Wow. I can dig this.
Old castle from MW. Result: I messed something up but I'll still drink it.
Hopscare IPA from MW. Result: I'm quitting my job and opening a brewpub! (not really, but you know the feeling...)

I've brewed the Caribou Slobber and personally I would leave that one alone. To me its the perfect balanced beer.

I would brew both as is. Personally, I think that it is a little late to make a holiday beer that you would be really proud of and to give to friends and family. Spiced beers should be conditioned a while to help blend the spice flavors. I bottled mine about three weeks ago and I thought that it was a tad late. Remember: your friends will judge homebrews by what you give them. I can't tell you how many people have said that they don't like homebrews. Someone gave them something that was probably too young and not really up to par yet. Wait three or four months and then nock their socks off!!!!

Thanks for the advice. Am going to brew both as is. I've yet to read or hear anything but positive about Caribou Slobber.
I still may try a spiced beer for later in winter but I think I'll look for a specific recipe or kit for that.

Latest posts

Back