Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
I would like to know how the bets wat to mak an Apple Wine would be. My sister has an apple tree in her back yard, and is giving me four boxes of fresh apples. The tree wes there when she bought the house so nobody really knows what kind of apples they are. Does it matter what hind they are? I would not think so becauce you just need the juice correct? And that brings me to my next questions....

How is the best way to juice the apples? I do not really want to go out and buy a special press. My dad and I are thinking of just coreing the apples, then running them through a meat grinder with a small blade and screen on. Then catching the pulp and juice. How much juice do you need to make a five gallon batch? I was thinking along the lines of a gallon or two of juice and pulp, topped off to six gallons and added sugar for the target OG. I was also thinking of using the campden tablets to kill off any wild yeasties over the first day, then pitching a wine yeast the next day.

What do you wine experts think, would this process bo OK. or are we way off base?

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice!

In my opinion you are way off base!

You had better start reading as fast as you can!

Good Luck,

Pogo

I think what pogo meant when he said you better start reading fast, is that there are some problems with your proposed method. I myself don't know alot about pressing apples, but you can do some searches on this forum and read all about it. I'm sure there is alot to read and understand about pressing your own juice and which recipe to follow.

Maybe someone else on this list can answer you directly, but do search the archives on this subject. Since the apples are ready now, you don't have alot of time to learn everything you need to know.

Good luck with your new venture!!

Latest posts

Back