Summer beers anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KozHops

Reaction score
As I sit here is snow covered Delaware awaiting yet another snow storm, I've been thinking about some of the brews I've done this winter. A blonde, dark belgian, cider, brown ale, and an ipa...I can't help but to start to get excited about brewing up some refreshing summer brews. This will be my first summer as a homebrewer and I want to make some really good brews for the family and friends to enjoy on those late summer nights.

I'm thinking about starting off the spring with a good hefe, maybe Ed Wort's recipe. Anyone out there have any good suggestions or favorite spring/summer beers to offer?

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah Ed's "Bee Cave Haus PA" is excellent. I'd also invite you to make my house bitter:

7 lbs maris otter
.5 lbs biscuit
.5 lbs crystal 40

1 oz Kent Goldings (60)
.5 oz Fuggles (30)
.5 oz Fuggles (10)

White Labs British Ale

That's my current recipe I'm working on perfecting, usually gets you about 1.040 or 3.8ish on the ABVs. I like to drink it during the day during the summer. Next time I make it I think I'll roast some of the MO and see what happens.

I brew a batch of this every winter. The ladies love it and its a nice reminder that all this snow will eventually go away.

Clementine/Hibiscus Wheat:
1.050 OG - 1.010 FG

60% Pale
30% Malted wheat
Cascade @ 60 for 20 IBU
1oz dried hibiscus @ flameout
zest of 5 clemetines @ 10
US-05 for 14-21 days.

Haven't made it yet, but just picked up ingredients for a Citra Pale Ale. Hoping to brew tomorrow. I think the high temp is forecasted to be in single digits... Come on summer!!

What about a nice crisp american wheat beer? Biermuncher has a great recipe for it, I think its called litehouse wheat?

My favorite hot weather beer is my American wheat. 50/50 wheat and 2 row with .25 lb crystal 20. Bittered with Northern Brewer, hopped and dry hopped like a pale ale with Citra and Amarillo . Kolsch yeast. Best summer beer ever.

I cannot wait for it to warm up and sit outside with a nice refreshing, yet flavorful, brew. Granted I will drink a Russian Imperial Stout on the beach in the middle of summer (I have) I am looking forward to the lighter style.

I have an Americanized Witbier (2-row, White Wheat, Centennial/Amarillo hops, Witbier yeast, Coriander/Orange Peel). I have a Cream Common (old school Cream Ale) that turned out great last summer). I cannot wait to brew my first Saison this summer. Just brewed my first Belgian Tripel, so I will probably be drinking some of that this summer too.

These are great recipes...I'm going to take a look at brewing most of these. I need to give the light, citrusy pale ales another shot.

I brewed two Saisons last summer - both were great. They were light and refreshing, but with interesting enough spiciness. Use the Wyeast French Saison for a *very* dry finish (I think I hit 1.005 with extract!).

I intend to brew a kolsch and a hefe for sure. My 5 gallon oud bruin batch should be done mid to late summer. I will most likely rebrew my chili beer and saison. Depending on how busy I am, I would like to get in another round of my tripel, a dunkel and a witbier. As it is I have a lot of beer in the house so part of that will also depend on how much space I have come spring.

My favorite hot weather beer is my American wheat. 50/50 wheat and 2 row with .25 lb crystal 20. Bittered with Northern Brewer, hopped and dry hopped like a pale ale with Citra and Amarillo . Kolsch yeast. Best summer beer ever.

+1 of the american wheat with kosch yeast. Then Use the yeast cake to ferment a Kolsch.

Berliner Weiss

I just did one of these a couple weeks ago, hopefully it'll be ready by August!

I'll probably do some form of pale ale with sorachi ace, citra, and possibly orange/coriander (nod to blacklab's recipe). I plan on doing my yearly saison along the same lines as far as hops go but I want to add grapefruit, orange, and lemon peels along with coriander.

Also I have to make my Panca-Serrano American Wheat again, this year I'm gonna try and figure out ways to cook with it! I also contemplated using the fruity panca peppers with palisade hops, though if I do that it'll wind up being a 1 gallon experiment.

Panca-Serrano Chili Summertime American Wheat

Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Lemon Balm Cream ale

and the light and full version of a saison

and possibly my Simcoe SMASH

Going to add in a Kolsch this year. A buddy did a very nice one that I really enjoyed.

I'll be doing an american wheat, hopped with Citra, along with a Kolsch, and Edworts PA. Probably throw a saison in there somewhere too.

I'm gonna be brewing a saison for sure, I just did one and I want to do another over the summer to see if wine yeast will push the fermentation into overdrive.

I think I'll try a Kolsch or a Duvel clone also in addition to rebrewing my original pale ale from over this last summer.

Back