Brett L cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked a dubbel and added some wyeast Brett L. I am just reading now that Brett L is a beast to clean. I am about ten batches in with the carboy it is actually in. It's a plastic carboy. Would it be a good idea to replace it once I am done with this batch?

Yup. Or keep it as your Brett specific carboy. I'm collecting extra equipment for my first Brett to be used fir brett only. I need another racking cane and bottling wand. I'm gonna be extra careful with it. I'm not going to ferment it in the same room as my normal beers.

Slightly off topic, but is there any worry when using glass with the bugs?

My book said to ferment with Brett in glass. Maybe it would offer fewer breeding grounds making it preferable? But the book says glass for lots of styles, and I have always used plastic.

the only fear with using brett and other bugs is that if the plastic is scratched the bugs can stay in the scratches, i always use glass when i use brett in my ciders. as for my racking cane and bottling bucket i just let them soak for a few hours in bleach when im done and things have been fine, no brett infections

Back