fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
I'm almos two weeks into fermenting my first all grain brew and was wonderind how active the action should be. At first the yeast was throwing a blow off of about one bubble per 2-3 seconds, with my 3 chamber plastic stopper. and the foam was about 3 inches thick. now every thing seems to be at a stand still and im only getting enough pressure to create a bubble every 2 min. Is this normal or did i some how kill my yeast? there is now a film where the previous head was(inside my carboy, just above the wort). could this be the yeast, and should i scrape this and add it back to the wort in order to get a more active fermentation? Also this is an ale so im fermenting at arround 65*-70*.

Don't use the bubbles as a measure, use a hydrometer to check your gravity to determine if the fermentation is done.

yeah but does is sound like some thing might be wrong. either way im going to ferment for three week in my primary and then switch to the secondary.

The things you describe sound like a good fermentation, and no, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Thick krausen, active fermentation. What was your original gravity? What the end gravity supposed to be? Without that info, you won't know if something is wrong or not, and it will just be a guessing game.

damn just started brewing and made up my mind to just see I end up with. not to smart, but its for family drinking, and I will worry about specific readings in later brews. Thanks for the coments though, your words are reasuring. What is rdwhahb?

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Since you have no home brew yet, have a good store bought brew.

And to further ease your mind, if you've left it in the primary that long (2 weeks you said, right?), it is surely finished it's fermentation. RDWHAHB.

Back