Calling all Linux users...need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyToad

Reaction score
Okay, quick back story. Over the weekend I had some computer issues, and I decided to re-format my computer (I was really hungover and it seemed like the easiest option at the time). I've been a Windows user, and I am fairly computer savvy. I just got my hands on a copy of Mandriva 2009, and I'd like to install it as a second OS on my machine. I have the hard drive space to partition and install, but I am unfamiliar with this process.

So, my questions, will the Mandriva disk prompt me to create a partition, or will I need to partition first, and then install the OS on the new partition? Also, when I boot the machine, will it ask me which OS I want to boot? Any help or resources will be appreciated.

Im not terribly familiar with Mandriva but it should prompt you for the partition. Other wise you can just partition the HD then install your new OS.

If you have free space on your harddrive that is not currently partitioned then your linux distro should ask if you want to create new partitions in the free space. If the space is currently partitioned but unused you will probably need to resize the partitions to free up space before starting the install.

Craig

If you have free space on your harddrive that is not currently partitioned then your linux distro should ask if you want to create new partitions in the free space. If the space is currently partitioned but unused you will probably need to resize the partitions to free up space before starting the install.

Craig

I have a 200gb drive currently. It is partitioned, but the partition currently has the backup data on it. When I boot to install, it should ask if I want to create another partition, or will it try to use the current partition?

I would recommend that you set aside at least 40 gb of space for ubuntu or whatever. You can still read and write into your windows partition from linux. Just make sure that you have at least 40 gb of continuous space. Ubuntu automatically sets up the individual linux partitions for you (i.e. swap and root) it's very easy.

I have a 200gb drive currently. It is partitioned, but the partition currently has the backup data on it. When I boot to install, it should ask if I want to create another partition, or will it try to use the current partition?

It will want to create a new partition if there is unallocated space. it should ask you either way what you want to do.

Craig

I just installed xubuntu on my old laptop the other day and I am almost sold on it. I like windows xp and I am pretty good at using and configuring it but my newer desktop has vista, which blows. When my old laptop had XP, it was nearly impossible to keep vista and XP networked for very long (i use the vista machine as a print server). My main reason for not dumping vista was that I bought office for Vista and didnt want to buy office for XP, but after messing with openoffice, I am not really worried about it.

Okay, so the partition went easy, and Mandriva installed extremely easy. It took me all of 15 min to get everything set up. I'll have to play around with it for a while to see if I really like it or not.

Back