Calling all Keurig users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get more extraction? I love my Keurig and the K-cups, but 2-3 times a week I drink Starbucks (by necessity not choice). After having the Starbucks, the K cups just aren't strong/rich enough for me. The best results I've gotten have been with dark roast cups, but I know there is more to be extracted in there. Any tricks to get more from those cups?

From; http://www.keurig.com/faq.asp?mscsid=DDQ60QM3J1BH8JRETBSHVLM8RXPX12U5#sizes

"Many Keurig brewers offer multiple brew sizes. How do I use this feature to brew a cup of coffee or tea that best suits my taste?

We understand that the perfect cup of coffee means something different to everyone. That is why we offer over hundreds of K-Cups and multiple brew sizes on the Elite, B40 Special Edition B60 and Platinum B70 brewers. These choices give you the flexibility to find your perfect cup of coffee. Larger brew sizes do not provide as strong a cup of coffee as the smaller ones — so if you’re looking for a stronger, more intense cup of coffee, we suggest you use a smaller size. You should also try our Extra Bold K-Cups. They contain approximately 30% more ground coffee in each K-Cup and — like all of our varieties — they are sold on our website in 5-packs for sampling. With all of these choices it’s easy for you to find your perfect cup!"

From; http://www.keurig.com/faq.asp?mscsid=DDQ60QM3J1BH8JRETBSHVLM8RXPX12U5#sizes

"Many Keurig brewers offer multiple brew sizes. How do I use this feature to brew a cup of coffee or tea that best suits my taste?

We understand that the perfect cup of coffee means something different to everyone. That is why we offer over hundreds of K-Cups and multiple brew sizes on the Elite, B40 Special Edition B60 and Platinum B70 brewers. These choices give you the flexibility to find your perfect cup of coffee. Larger brew sizes do not provide as strong a cup of coffee as the smaller ones — so if you’re looking for a stronger, more intense cup of coffee, we suggest you use a smaller size. You should also try our Extra Bold K-Cups. They contain approximately 30% more ground coffee in each K-Cup and — like all of our varieties — they are sold on our website in 5-packs for sampling. With all of these choices it’s easy for you to find your perfect cup!"

Thanks. It looks like the Bold cups are the best I'll get. I'm still wondering about extraction though. I have one of the filter cups as well where you can use your own grounds. Maybe I'll try filling it with some very fine grounds...

our work has them here for free as well, I like the setup up, but at least my Senseo had an adjustment screw on the bottom that controlled the brew strength.

When I still bought the K-cups, I'd use two Dark Magic cups, both on the smallest brew size setting.

Now I have the My K-cup refillable filter cup, and just grind beans and fill it myself. Still pretty much always have to use two cups and the smallest brew setting.

Now I have the My K-cup refillable filter cup, and just grind beans and fill it myself. Still pretty much always have to use two cups and the smallest brew setting.

Man, I never thought of refilling the filter cup. That wouldn't be as expensive as using 2 cups. Thanks...:mug:

Well, just to clarify, it's not a regular K-cup... it's a K-cup with a metal mesh filter inside. Search Amazon for "My K-cup" and you'll see 'em. They're 15 bucks or so.

Sorry, I didn't catch the humor the first time around; I haven't had enough coffee yet. ;)

Just wanted to make sure no one tried to refill a normal K-cup. :)

how does the Keurig filter?

i recently started drinking french press every day, and suddenly found any drip coffee run through a paper filter was crap. too thin...no body, no mouthfeel. bought gold mesh filters to replace the paper...it helped.

I'm not the best person to talk to...coffee snob. I roast my own coffee, stick mostly to french press, and my vacuum pot arrives tomorrow with 5lbs of green Nicaraguan Limoncellon Longberry beans.

how does the Keurig filter?

i recently started drinking french press every day, and suddenly found any drip coffee run through a paper filter was crap. too thin...no body, no mouthfeel. bought gold mesh filters to replace the paper...it helped.

I'm not the best person to talk to...coffee snob. I roast my own coffee, stick mostly to french press, and my vacuum pot arrives tomorrow with 5lbs of green Nicaraguan Limoncellon Longberry beans.

I have the French press around for the occasions where I can take the time do make good coffee. The Keurig does not produce coffee nearly as rich as the French press...

I love the GMC Dark Magic and I actually picked up Emeril Lagasse's K cups as well. They are also very rich and dark...:mug:

I have to ask.... What makes these single cup pots so special. $200 bones seems a bit spendy for a machine that makes 1 cup at a time?

I have to ask.... What makes these single cup pots so special. $200 bones seems a bit spendy for a machine that makes 1 cup at a time?

They're uber convenient, thats what I love. Sometimes it is a PITA to keep making singles cups (e.g. parties). Regarding the cost, mine was gifted to me so I didn't consider that. The K Cups are more pricey than regular bagged stuff though...

They're uber convenient, thats what I love. Sometimes it is a PITA to keep making singles cups (e.g. parties). Regarding the cost, mine was gifted to me so I didn't consider that. The K Cups are more pricey than regular bagged stuff though...

I have only tried them at commercial locations. The shop where I have my truck serviced has one. I agree they are convienient and for what it is, it makes a decent cup.

But, I would never choose a Keurig over my French Press. I love that thing.

My Keurig was free from Green Mountain during a promotion. I had to buy a couple boxes of K-Cups.

Latest posts

Back