Vegetal taste in fresh hop beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shapptastic

Reaction score
I recently made and drank a home grown fresh hopped amber beer that I made exclusively with Cascades. While the beer was drinkable, I noticed a weird off-taste that I can only attribute to the hops. My additions were as follows

60 min 5 oz fresh cascades
30 min 5 oz fresh cascades
10 min 3 oz fresh cascades

Dry hopped 6 days 2 oz dried cascades

The citrus comes out in the smell and taste, but it had a slight vegetal (think Brussels sprouts) taste at the end. It faded a bit after a few weeks, but never went away completely. Any ideas for how to avoid this?

I recently made and drank a home grown fresh hopped amber beer that I made exclusively with Cascades. While the beer was drinkable, I noticed a weird off-taste that I can only attribute to the hops. My additions were as follows

60 min 5 oz fresh cascades
30 min 5 oz fresh cascades
10 min 3 oz fresh cascades

Dry hopped 6 days 2 oz dried cascades

The citrus comes out in the smell and taste, but it had a slight vegetal (think Brussels sprouts) taste at the end. It faded a bit after a few weeks, but never went away completely. Any ideas for how to avoid this?

That's one of the reasons I don't love wet hopped beer. It's a bit vegetal for my taste. I love dryhopped beer, though, and use my homegrown hops for that all the time.

Back