Brewers Best IPA Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I'm about to do this but I feel the original recipe may be a little weak. The kit includes two 3.3 lb cans LME,
one lb. Crystal malt 60L
1/2 lb. Victory
2 oz N. Brewer(bittering)
1oz Cascade(finish)
So I bought an extra 1# DME and 2 oz Cascade
I also have 2 lb.of clover honey available.
Whatcha all think? I would like to brew this, like, right now, but I may wait for an hour or so. I just finished bottling my first ever batch and I'm not ready to stop havin fun yet!:ban: :drunk:
On second thought, I think I'll wait til tomorrow and start fresh, and hopefully, with some good feedback from all you experts out there!

Just opened a bottle of BB IPA a couple of hours ago for the first time. I brewed as instructed, bottle conditioned for 5 weeks. Found it to be just fine as is. I was concerned it wasn't going to be "hoppy" enough, even when I tasted it from the secondary to bottle bucket, but it turned out fine. Just one of those times when patience is a good thing. Not sure if I would add honey to it, may take away some character. Maybe some DME would be better. IMO

I'm far from an expert, but if you want to add a little more body to your brew, I think a few tweaks here and there might be feasible. Maybe you could use 1/2# of that DME, which might give you a little more body and increase your alcohol content. You might also consider using 1/2 oz. of that extra Cascade when finishing if you're looking for more flavor/aroma. I wouldn't mess with it too much though...usually kits are pretty tried and true to produce a very solid brew. I think I would also pass on the honey...maybe save that for a higher gravity brew in the future.

Just my $0.02, and I'm pretty much a noob at this too, so take it as you will. Either way I'm sure you'll end up with an excellent IPA. Good luck and good brewing!:D

-Josh

IPA's generally are more alcoholic and are higher in IBU than Pale Ales so I would use that pound of DME in the brew. The way I figure it your gravity will be 1.056- 1.059 with the included DME in a 5 gallon batch. Consider 2 oz. Cascade for flavoring and 1 oz. at flameout and maybe dry hop the remaining ounce.:)

Back