Primary Bucket for Cleaning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Can you use a primary fermentation bucket to soak the labels off of bottles and for general cleaning of the brewing equipment.

I use OxyClean for soaking my stuff in my primary bucket. The last two batches made with it have had an off taste. I rinse well and always use a sanitizer before brewing on everything.

:mug: I use Oxiclean to clean everything including my primary, just make sure to use really hot water for the final rinse off.:mug:

The only problem with doing that is the possibility of scratching the inside. I have other large containers to use for cleaning and sanitizing so why take the chance of scratching the fermenter? Get some cheap or free 5 gallon buckets or a storage tub and use that instead.

I don't recommend using either the primary or the bottling bucket for cleaning...it's too easy to scratch, and scrathes can be a breeding ground for infection....I use a 5 gallon soysauce bucket to clean and sanitize everything in. You can also get a cheap bucket at HD to use, some people use rubbermade tubs as well....I try to keep my primary and bottling buckets as not beat up as possible..I don't store then inside each other either.

Back