Hop storage and keeping sanitized for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I purchased 5 lbs of bulk hops that I plan to store in mason jars with a vacuum sealed lid. I was just wondering, is there any thing I should be concerned about when I use them for dry hopping? I have been used to using vacuum sealed pouches, which I sanitize before I open, but I am not going to be able to do that once they are in jars. Whats the best way to deal with the hops? I figured I would clean/sanitize the jars, and then put in the hops.... but, I am a bit worried about when I take them out and measure the weight for the dry hop additions. Am I being overly paranoid about the hops getting some bugs on them before they go into the beer?

Thanks!

Yes, you are being overly paranoid.

Hops have natural preservative qualities and don't really need any special attention with respect to sanitizing. Just vacuum pack and store in freezer.

Just pull them out with your hands, weigh in any clean container, and just add to beer.

Fermented beer has alcohol to protect it. There is very little that can affect beer at that point.

Back