Cologne Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Just ordered up the Cologne Kolsch extract kit from Midwest Supplies. Anyone have any experience/pointers for this one? It'll be my second brew, the first one was the Autumn Amber Ale thats sitting in the carboy right now finishing up. I read that the Cologne Kolsch needs to be lagered after its done fermenting, is 45°F cold enough to get it crisp and clean? And how long do you think it should sit in the cold, a month?

Ideally ferment in the mid to low 60's (lower is better) and the lager at just above freezing for at least 3 weeks - Ideally. That being said, 45 will work fine, it just will likely take longer - particularly to clear. Before I had a proper lagering set up, I'd brew lagers in the basement (50 F) and then keg them and then they would sit for a couple months before going on tap. Then I'd give them one week in the kegerator to just sit there, then I'd start enjoying. It worked well enough

Ferment cool and use a blowoff tube anyways. That Kolsch yeast, if that's what you're using, can be a intense top cropper if I remember correctly. Oh, and the krausen will likely last pretty much forever. You can rack from underneath it.

And, I had some trouble getting that yeast to clear up without a proper lagering setup. An option to speed that up/help out would be some clarifying agents like isinglass. I would actually recommend it.

Enjoy! I love a good Kolsch!

Back