Bottle Conditioning Temps for Wheat Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I want to take a crack at a wheat beer next, I figure I will use Wyeast 3068 since there are lots of recipes geared to using that strain.

My question is this -- in two weeks my freezer will be chilling a lager at 35F for 4-6 weeks. Is this an acceptable temperature for conditioning a wheat beer?

IMO that is too cold. I like to condition in the 50's for an ale like that.

I conditioned 3068 used in my Dunkelweizen recipe at 70-74 degrees for 3 weeks then I plan to drop the temp to room temp and chill it. Last week I tried it (week 2.5) and it was fully carbed.

Too cold, that yeast will probably go mostly dormant I'd think. But what do I know. Mine is conditioning at room temp which is 68-70 in my house.

Rev.

Three weeks at 70 or above for most beers. If it's in the cold the yeast will go dormant and not carb or condition your beers. And if they are able to it would be a long time.

OK, a related question. Is there a beer style that has primary fermentation at room temperature but is bottle conditioned at lower temps like a lager is?

Latest posts

Back