Secondary vs lagering? What the hell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I read a recent article, where the author implied that lagering is not the same as secondary. I thought it was the same for a lager.

So I ask you then? What is the difference between lagering and secondary fermentation?

Thanks,
Marius

There is some overlap. Lagering requires temperatures near or below the freezing point of water. You can (and should imo) do this to ales too and most people would then call it a secondary or cold conditioning.

Warm conditioning is certainly distinct from lagering.

Depends on how you define and use the secondary... :D

If you simply use it to store beer in bulk quantity, at a cold 35°-40°F, with lager yeast then you're lagering. You can ferment in primary, raise temp to do your D rest and then crash cool all in primary and rack to a keg where you do your lagering. You could technically do your lagering in the bottle. Just remember "to store" your beer for a while to get the benefits of the lager process.

I always equate "secondary" with things like fruit additions or dry hopping in an ale. I'll bulk age in a carboy just as easy as a keg so I don't like to call that "secondary." There is no fermentation going on so it gets confusing for folks, I suppose.

Thanks for your reply.

I have read this book. Palmer talks about conditioning (lagering). The whole thing has made me really confused.

Are you saying lagering is: "brewing a beer with lager yeast and primary (+secondary if you like) at low temperature?"

lagering is not as simple as a secondary. A secondary is typically held at the temperature at which fermentation occured. With a lager, you ferment cool (around 50 ish). You then lager the beer around 34F for weeks to months.

Another difference is that an ale doesn't always need be use a secondary. A lager must undergo the cold storage phase.

1. Lagering = storing at cold temperature? Is this correct?
2. This was my plan for my lager: Ferment 48*F, transfer to new bucket but leave yeast deposit in primary. Put the bucket in fridge at 35*F for 6-8 wks, bottle, leave for 3 wks, drink. Does this sound sensible?M

Lagering is the the storage portion of brewing a lager beer. Lager means "to store."

You ferment at cooler temperatures than an ale and then store cold for the maturation and clarification processes. Lagering = cold conditioning... kinda. ;)

1. Lagering = storing at cold temperature? Is this correct?
2. This was my plan for my lager: Ferment 48*F, transfer to new bucket but leave yeast deposit in primary. Put the bucket in fridge at 35*F for 6-8 wks, bottle, leave for 3 wks, drink. Does this sound sensible?M

Yes. That would be brewing a lager, assuming you use a lager yeast.

Latest posts

Back