Filling a sanke (sankey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcollins

Reaction score
I've been in touch with a few people over the last couple of years about how to fill a sanke keg in a home situation. I know there is not a huge number of people out there with this set up but I figured I would show people that it can be done and how I do it.

I just posted a tutorial with pics on my blog here:

http://itswhatsontap.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/filling-a-sanke-keg-tutorial/

Any comments or questions are welcome.

I'm sure there is some oxidation and it may be more than in a regular transfer to corny or to carboy but I don't usually let my beer sit around long enough for it to get to a critical level. ;)

I'm not sure I see any benefit to this over just racking it into the keg. I also use a coupler with the check valves removed to do transfers, but that's because I'm pushing the beer with gas and doing a counter pressure transfer. I suppose it would make sense if you store your keg with sanitizer in it and the spear installed, since it would eliminate the need to take the spear out. I don't like to store my kegs with anything in them though. FWIW reversing the lines doesn't help carb the beer faster or have any other benefits. Pushing gas into the bottom of the keg only helps if it's being broken apart into super tiny bubbles like with an airstone.

Do you mean just racking it into the keg when the spear is removed? For me in my set up and in my experience, replacing the spear is a huge PITA and I really wouldn't want to do it with a full keg. I've taken them out and cleaned the keg and replaced them but it's such a huge pain that I just don't wish to deal with it with a full keg.

As far as carbing, I've tried several methods and this seems to be the fastest. Not reversing the lines in my experience is much slower. I can get carbed beer in about 6 hours with this method. There may be something particular about my set up but I've tried so many different methods and this is, so far, the fastest way.

If you're removing the spear to clean between beers, it's the same amount of work either way. I know you can clean and fill without ever removing the spear, but without a large commercial keg cleaning machine I don't feel like it does a good enough job. Removing and replacing the spear is quick and easy once you've done it a few times. FWIW I find it easier when the keg is full since it prevents the keg from moving/tipping when pushing/pulling on the retaining ring. You can also use an internal snap ring in place of the spiral ring, but I feel like the spiral ring provides a better seal.

You're right except that I'm not removing the spear in between each beer. I have access to a commercial keg washer that I use once in a while but I don't feel it's necessary every time.

In your experience you find it easier to replace the valve with a full keg but I guess in my experience I couldn't get past the huge PITA it was just to replace the valve, period. It's not something I enjoy doing with an empty keg and I sure wouldn't want to do it with a full keg.

This is one way that works. It gets beer from a carboy into a sanke keg in a short period of time with minimal hassle. For the number of people who have contacted me over the last couple of years there are very likely an equal number of methods of transfer. If I figure out another way that is easier or provides a different outcome then I'll likely post a tutorial on that one as well.

What's the expression? Ask 10 homebrewers a question and get 15 different answers. :D

Juan, or anyone, I'd be interested in hearing tips for quicker/easier removal of the keg's spiral ring. Ive done it about 5 times and I'm still struggling. I use a narrow flathead screwdriver to pry it out enough to grab it with needle nose pliers and use a small hammer to tap it back into place when reinstalling. Anyone have a better technique or better tool suggestion?? Hope this is on topic enough to not be considered hijacking the post. Thank you

I don't use snake's but I went to a little class my LHBS put on about using them. The trick they used for the ring was to ensure when you put it back on, that you arrange it so that the end of the ring is just past one of the notches. That way, to remove it, you can use a little screw driver to easily pop the end of the ring out. Once the end is removed, its easy to pry the rest of it out.

To put it back in, just put one end in place and work it in incrementally with pliers. He was able to get the ring in and out in less than a minute or two. No cursing either. :)

That c-clip looks mighty nice too.

The internal snap ring is easier if you're not practiced with the spiral ring, and I used them for a while, but I don't feel they seal as well. As mentioned, aligning the spiral ring properly when you install it will make it much easier to remove. No need to hammer the ring in, squeezing it in with pliers is much easier.

The trick they used for the ring was to ensure when you put it back on, that you arrange it so that the end of the ring is just past one of the notches. That way, to remove it, you can use a little screw driver to easily pop the end of the ring out. Once the end is removed, its easy to pry the rest of it out.

To put it back in, just put one end in place and work it in incrementally with pliers. He was able to get the ring in and out in less than a minute or two. No cursing either. :)

That c-clip looks mighty nice too.

This is exactly how I do it also and its takes no more than 1 minute to get it in. I own C-Clips but they are more of a pain than the original rings. They are made from a softer steel and are prone to damage. When damaged they become even more difficult to pop in.

Thanks pcollins for the post, very nice work. I'll be checking your blog too. What do you think about using a pump to push the beer through the coupler?

I've been looking for a method to get beer into my Sankey without removing the spiral ring / spear. I'll give this method a go using Fermzilla 30L using siphon on beer side and gas on other other side to push beer into keg. Thanks OP for the recommendations (not sure if you're still around).

Back