Oh the woes of a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
Well I am brewing my first beer, the hefeweizen as mentioned in my other thread. So I have it in a bucket 'cause that's what's with my kit and the yeast has been quite active so the krausen has gotten up into the airlock a couple times. Took it out, resanitized it and refilled it. Well when I came back hours later it had done it again... I know I should use a blowoff hose but I am not set up for it really... but I do have a regular siphon tube so I tried to see if that would fit in the airlock hole and as I was trying to push it in there the rubber gasket fell off into my beer! :eek: :rolleyes:

So I sanitized a spoon and managed to dig that sucker out of there. Resanitized it and put it back on the lid. Man oh man I hope that turns out okay. :cross: The krausen looks like it's settled down so I put the airlock back in and it went back to bubbling along.

:D

You are fine... if you have a 3 piece airlock.. cut off the bottom of the stem so that there is just a tube, none of those little holes... remove the cap and the little thing that bobs up and down... place a hose on the inner tube in the airlock... basically, make it a one piece and use some 1/2" tubing as your make shift blow off if you have to.... peace

:rockin:

Yeah mine does have the small holes I guess I'd have to cut it. That's not a bad idea though I suppose.

I just jam my siphoning hose into the drilled stopper. Takes a bit of doing, but it fits in -really- tight and so far I haven't had a problem.

Whelk said:
I just jam my siphoning hose into the drilled stopper. Takes a bit of doing, but it fits in -really- tight and so far I haven't had a problem.

Same thing I do, works fine for me too. No need to cut anything up, just shove the tune in the hole.

Back