what is the most amount of hops you have used in a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i just got done brewing an ipa at a 90 minute boil with about 5 1/2 oz's of hops ranging from simcoe, columbus, to amarillo. i tried this beer before putting it into primary and must say that it is the hopiest experience i have ever had in my entire life.

Back when hops were $0.99 an ounce (or less), I made a 5 gallon batch of beer with 17 ounces of hops. (Pliny clone).

Wow- it was GOOD!

Now that I have hops in bulk in the freezer, I feel this coming on again.

David- that's funny. YOU used 14 ounces of hops? That shocks me- shocks me, I say!

NB's DIPA kit calls for 6oz. I just bottled it, and it is going to be great!

5.25oz in an IPA i just bottled but think I may up the dry hop by 1oz next time. 14oz holy crap! I could make a lot of beer with that much hops :)

I've only used about 7 oz in an IPA I made a while back (which was quite expensive.) I'm really thinking about buying some hops by the pound so I can make my IPA's without breaking the bank.

I've only used about 7 oz in an IPA I made a while back (which was quite expensive.) I'm really thinking about buying some hops by the pound so I can make my IPA's without breaking the bank.

That's the only way to do it. Even if you don't brew often you can buy a lb of multi purpose hops and use them for bitter/flavor/aroma/dry hop. You can easily go through a lb doing that :)

I have a few IPA recipes in which I use 10-14 oz. of hops (mostly Cascade) for a five gallon batch. I have leveled off more recently because I have noticed the bitterness and floral quality has essentially maxed after 7 or 8 ounces.

David- that's funny. YOU used 14 ounces of hops? That shocks me- shocks me, I say!

Youth and inexperience. I could probably make the same beer and only use 6-7 ounces today.

This may be a little off topic, but would there be an advantage/disadvantage to dry hopping at different stages? For example Transfer to secondary and add 1oz. Then maybe 3 or 4 days later, add another oz. Then maybe more?

I'm just thinkin' out loud here. Has anyone ever done this?

Woah... That would be sweet. If we can drop near that price again I'll have to brew up some monster IPAs.

:confused: I think we have dropped to that price again. Most hop only places are just above a $1/oz or well below that mark when you buy by the lb.

For example $8.75/lb for cascades at Hopdirect or pay $2/oz elsewhere.

used several pounds once... they were wet hops right off the vine, so it probably doesn't count.

used 7 oz of columbus pellets and 7 oz of bravo flower hops in a double IPA once. turned out nice, but not great. probably not using bravo again.

used several pounds once... they were wet hops right off the vine, so it probably doesn't count.

used 7 oz of columbus pellets and 7 oz of bravo flower hops in a double IPA once. turned out nice, but not great. probably not using bravo again.

oh good call. I think last year one of my fresh hop IPAs was about 5-6lbs for 10 gallons.

With kiled hops the most so far has been 22oz in 5 gal

I've only gone so far as 11 oz., but 1.5 oz. were 16.5% AA for a bittering addition (actually, FWH).

I nearly spit out my drink when I saw David come in with the first reply and 14 oz. Nice, man. :D

TL

Back