Brewers Gold Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know brewers gold is historically used for bittering only, but has anyone used it as a dry hop or aroma addition? If so, how did it turn out? I've read everything from "poor aroma" to "black currant" aromas. I've never used this hop before so any info would help. I only ask because I got some for free and am looking for something different to do with them. Thanks a lot, everyone.

I like Brewer's Gold and use it in several beers but would not consider it for a late addition hop. BTW the black currant thing is more flavor than aroma and one of the hop's attributes that I enjoy. It's not that BG has terrible aroma, it just doesn't have much. I've had a UK ale that is all Brewer's Gold and it wasn't bad but I would still lean to the hops strengths rather than its' weaknesses. Give it a try if you want but IMO the BGs would be better served bittering a porter, bitter or IPA.

Glenn Tinseth said that the aroma of Brewers Gold was very good on one of the Brewers Network shows. I'm planning on picking up a pound of BG pellets this fall to try that out. I think that it should work with other aroma hops for dry hopping.

I dry hopped a couple of ounces of brewers gold/plug in my last batch due to an ordering mixup. It turned out pretty good, the aroma was pretty weak though.

Has worked pretty well for me! Doesn't have the ridiculously strong aroma of a citra or an amarillo, but the red fruit / blackcurrant / stone fruit flavour and aroma of brewer's gold really does it for me. None of that silly citrusiness, just some good grown up flavour. Worked ok for dry-hopping. After all it's the parent of centennial, galena, chinook, sorachi ace and nugget...

Has worked pretty well for me! Doesn't have the ridiculously strong aroma of a citra or an amarillo, but the red fruit / blackcurrant / stone fruit flavour and aroma of brewer's gold really does it for me. None of that silly citrusiness, just some good grown up flavour. Worked ok for dry-hopping. After all it's the parent of centennial, galena, chinook, sorachi ace and nugget...

Coming in here almost 5 years after this post, unfortunately that silly citrus phase hasn't disappeared. I'm pretty done with these tropical fruit/citrus-forced beers.

Anyway, checked in to see the concensus on using Brewer's Gold for dry-hopping. I have two bitters ready to go so I am going to try it...an ounce each for 5.5 gallons.

I did ultimately get a pound of Brewers Gold and used it in pale ales and bitters. I find it very appealing with an 'English' profile and black currant undertones. Definitely different from American hop varieties. It is a hop worth exploring and using.

Back