Can STC-1000 control HERMS pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelakebrewing

Reaction score
The Ranco that I was using to control my HERMS pump took a big S*&$ yesterday and now I am left with no mash temperature control.

I was using the Ranco unit in a Herms system to power a pump to my heating element, in this case a SS herms coil in my HLT.

I have searched the forum and found no definitive answer, so I am curious, could I use an STC-1000 in the same context that I used the Ranco? The pump as a March 815 120v

The answer is I suppose. The ideal solution is with either a PID or a software PID on arduino. The Ranco and STC will control temperature but... The PID anticipates changes and will compensate for fluctuations the STC just reacts to a change after the fact.

It will be comparable to the Ranco you were using previously. The above info about PID's is good, but for basic temp control, an STC-1000 should work the same. As long as your pump is under 10 amps (should be), then you have no technical hurdle to overcome.

I wouldn't expect PID and ac pumps to be friends. The pump probably won't like to be turned on and off that much or that quickly. You would need to set the cycle time very high.

Is there a particular reason why you are not following the normal convention of running the pump continuously and adjusting the HLT temp to maintain mash temps?

I wouldn't expect PID and ac pumps to be friends. The pump probably won't like to be turned on and off that much or that quickly. You would need to set the cycle time very high.

Is there a particular reason why you are not following the normal convention of running the pump continuously and adjusting the HLT temp to maintain mash temps?

Probably because he is using a basic, thermostat type on/off control.

Back