Picking the right ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impulse115

Reaction score
Hey all - this is my 1st real post on the site and I'm hoping I can get a good range of opinions.

I've been homebrewing for a little under a year and have relied on other people's recipes or first-hand advice when gathering ingredients. I want to take this a step further and formulate my own. Of course, every style has a cut-and-dry guideline in terms of the yeast strains, hops, and types of grain to use. However, there is also the Dogfish way of doing things (for lack of another example) which I think is a very popular method.

In Brew Masters, you frequently see Sam & team steep ingredients in a hot "beer tea" to get a sense of how they'll taste in the finished product. Seems simple enough, especially when it comes to pellet hops. I'd think this is the easiest way to create a beer with the flavor profile and qualities you envisioned. For the rest of the HBT community, how do you go about formulating recipes and picking the right ingredients? Any tips/tricks you'd like to share?

To the mods - I put this in the Recipes/Ingredients category since it directly deals with it, but I can see this thread also being in the Techniques category as well. Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere!

Back