RIMS Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am planing to build my RIMS system (120v ~1200w element), I've read most of the threads just need some guidance.

If possible I'd like to make it as close to a brew magic as possible.

Mash Tun RIMS
I want to have a system that will tell me when to turn on/off the burner kind of like the brew magic system. From what I've read I can use an alarm channel on the Auber PID to activate a LED, is that correct?. If so can I set it to turn on within X degrees of target temp. I'd also like a LED to let me know that the element is on.

HLT
For the HLT I'd just need a thermocouple to make sure my sparge water is the correct temp if so light a green LED.

Circulation.
I'd need a switch that will control the pump and light a LED when the pump is ON and possible not let me turn on the element if the pump it not running.

Maybe a built in timer.

Am I on the right track? I don't want to build anything too complex.

The best thing to do is to use a PID to control the temperatures. For the mash, you'll recirculate the mash water thru a RIMS tube. The tube has a hot water heating element screwed into one end and a temperature probe on the other. You use the PID in conjunction with a solid state relay to fire the element in small bursts. The computer uses an algorithm to figure out exactly how often to fire the element in short bursts to bring liquid to a set temperature without overshooting, and then to maintain that temperature. You just program in the temperature you want and the PID handles the rest. It runs about $40 for the PID. Check out Auber instruments.

Here's a shot of mine. The RIMS is holding the temperature to the set point temperature. You can see it's pretty accurate.

8260a944.jpg

Do a search for "RIMS for Dummies." Not a comment on you, just the title of the thread. They have everything from parts lists to a complete wiring diagram.

As for the HLT, I don't think you really need a PID. I just monitor the temp and manually shut it off. In such a large volume of water you can fairly easily get it to the right temp, or stir and let it cool down a minute if you overshoot.

Back