getting started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsnick

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been wanting to brew beer for a while and have been reading here a lot. I recently decided that I was going to do it. I have started gathering supplies and plan to brew for the first time on satuday. Im pretty sure I have everything and I am pretty excited. My first brew is going to be an amber ale that I got from a LHBS.

I just have one question. I have decided to go with glass. I have helped my friend make wine before and I just seem to like the carboys. I know they are a little more work than buckets, but that's ok, im not rushing it. I have the time to do it right. I originally wanted to buy a 6.5 gallon carboy for my primary.I went to three stores and could not find any. The last store I went to said that a 6 gallon would be plenty of space for a 5 gallon batch. After reading more, im tempted to take the 6 gallon carboy back and either go with a bigger bucket or try and find a bigger carboy. What do you guys think? I want to make stouts and other darker stronger beers as well.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

You can get away with the 6 gallon carboy, but just plan on using a blow-off tube instead of a airlock.

You'll be fine with 6 gallon carboys ... that's all I use for primary. Agree with TropherM, use a blowoff.

Thanks for the replies. How much do you guys think you lose with the blow off tube? Thanks

You shouldn't lose any beer per se - if your fermentation is really active you will lose some krausen, but your beer will be fine. If you're worried about that, there is no harm in putting a tray, or a tarp, underneath your carboy to help keep clean up easy. Make sure to fill the pot that your blow off hose is leading to with sanitized water.

I have a 6.5 gallon primary fermenter, and often do 5.5 gallon batches. I've done 20 batches without getting any krausen in my blowoff tube (knock on wood!), so I haven't lost anything.

I've only had to use a blow off tube once or 15 batches. Usually ok my 6 and 6.5 glass carboy its fine with just the airlock. No worries.

Back