Will this recipe work ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
alright guys so I posted last night about making a grapefruity kind of beer, and I got some good advice.

So I have two recipes that I stole from biermucher and just changed a tiny bit just want to know how they look and which one do you think is a better idea, or if you have any ideas to improve them which I'm sure you will (this is going to be only my second AG batch)

so this first one is a grapefruit blonde

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz perle [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz perle [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1.00 lb grapefruit peel/zest
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

the second is a grapefruit wit

4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz perle, [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) (someone sugested peppercorns????? )
0.75 oz grapefruit peel/zest (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

is it unheard of to dry hop a wit ...maybe with a little cascade ?

So I want these to be pretty gapefruity ...not a straight up fruit beer but I want the taste to come through pretty clearly

I appreciate everyones help
~joe

I would choose the first one.
Reduce the carapils to 1/2 lb and switch the yeast to US-05, WLP001. the hops will shine through. Dryhop with 1.2 oz each of amarillo and cascade.

I agree, the flavor will come through cleared in the blonde. But I got no problem with Nottigham, great yeast.

+1 on the first one with nottingham. Be carful with the zest because if you get any pith it will be bitter. The zest is strong strong stuff. A little goes a long way so i have to wonder if a pound is too much. I have never used grapefruit zest only lemon but you may want to add 1/2 and then when you move to secondary-taste and add more to satisfy the taste your looking for

Back