whats floating in my boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
so i just did my third AG homebrew and this time i got what at first looked like i missed grains in my boil. after scooping it off with a skimmer it is like a grain colored mush. can anyone tell me what it might be.

9lb pale 2 row
2lb pale 6 row

i ran the grains till gravity read 1.010 at 78 deg

Proteins, coagulated into what is reffered to as hot break. You got those bits skimmed before they clumped enough to drop.

It's called hotbreak....it's normal. after you hit a certain point in the boil it usually just falls down in the pot...though some old school brewers believe in skimming it off....Me I just wait til it dissapears.

From How to brew

A foam will start to rise and form a smooth surface. This is good. If the foam suddenly billows over the side, this is a boil-over (Bad). If it looks like it is going to boil over, either lower the heat or spray the surface with water from a spray bottle. The foam is caused by proteins in the wort that coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot. You will see particles floating around in the wort. It may look like Egg Drop Soup. This is called the Hot break and may take 5-20 minutes to occur, depending on the amount of protein in your extract. Often the first hop addition triggers a great deal of foaming, especially if hop pellets are used. I recommend waiting until the Hot break occurs before doing your first Hop addition and timing the hour. The extra boiling time won't hurt.

ok i didn't see it in any of my other beers, but i do i whirl pool and all so shouldn't be an issue i did skim it off the top was easy just wanted to make sure it wasn't something i did wrong it looked so nice going in the the pot :)

I'm surprised you missed in in your other boils...it probably just happend so quick...or wasn't as pronounced as this one...I usually wait for it before I add my hops...It's also the time where you may get a boil over...

Latest posts

Back