Great Taste of the Midwest - Madison, WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun you bastages! One of these years I'm going to make it to this thing. Though with my wedding coming up in 3 weeks...it wasn't in the card this time.

Well, that was a fun time as usual. Any favorites this year? I tried one beer from each brewery in only two tents. :( 5 hours isn't enough time.

Two whole days would not even be enough time.

I was surprised at the large number of wood aged beers. Although this was my first year, so I don't know how common they were in the past.

I think my favorite was Founder's Backwoods Bastard, which is a barrel-aged version of their Dirty Bastard.

I had a few Scotch ales in the Real Beer tent that tasted like band aids. I was not expecting that, yuck.

I definitely got to a point where all beers of a style tasted exactly the same: either hoppy and bitter (pale ales) or sweet and creamy (imperial stouts). Stupid palate fatigue.

So more than praising some beers, I have to express disappointment in having tried Dark Lord. I also tried it with vanilla and from bourbon barrels. With all the hype it receives, I thought it would be more... special. Instead, it reminded me of a hoppier version of, say, Central Waters' imperial stout. Good beer to be sure, but it didn't match my expectations for it.

I really liked Smokey the Beer and Rendezvous (from Lakefront).

One beer I thought was interesting was South Shore's Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout. JT Whitney's had a Sour Brown Ale that was good too. Otherwise I drank a lot of Belgians and porters from what I remember.
I had a couple beers that were terrible too. One was a place call 3rd Base I think. It was a bourbon stout or porter with way too much bourbon.

Back