Southern Tier Hop Sun ?? on dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Wow. First time I had it this weekend. Very tasty. A hopped american wheat with a minute lemon hint. Anyone tried to clone? Here is link to their site. http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/beer_7.htm It lists the bill. Anyone familier enough with dry hopping to make some recommendations. I want to do a batch on Friday and think I can get close with everything else but the dryhopping - no experience there at alll. :rockin::rockin:

Just got turned on to Southern Tier and have been pretty impressed with their lineup so far. I really dig that they list the ingredients and type of yeast right on the bottle.

Just wanted to let anyone know my Southern Tier Hop Sun clone turned out freakin awesome. Very close to commerical style. More than happy to send you AG recipe if desired.
:rockin::rockin:

My brewing partner made one on Memorial Day... I'll try to get the recipe. It turned out real nice...

EDIT: Here it is....

I'm pretty sure that Southern Tier uses Centennial not Columbus... and I did not dry hop - because I hate pellet hops now (it's official).

7 lbs. 2-row Pils
3 lbs. Wheat Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
.5 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 12.2 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 12.2 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 12.2 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale info

I'll post recipe in the next few days. Put into keg last night and it lasts and looks very close to the hop sun. Anyone had the Uber Sun. It's their imperial hopped wheat. Might me a little to crazy for me to spend $8 on a 22 oz, but would if anyone else liked

i got a sampler pack from southern tier for christmas 2yrs ago and everything in it was mighty tasty i have been wanting to try there jah-va. the hop sun does look good. did you put any lemon in it?

sorry for the delay, but here it is. Pretty simple.

5.25 lbs 2 row pale
3.125 lbs wheat
.5 lbs 60 crystal

Mashed at 153 for 90 minutes

60 minute boil
hops schedule
60 minutes - .80 oz 8.9aa Centennial
30 minutes - .35 oz 8.9aa Centennial
5 minutes - .5 oz 8.9aa Centennial

Yeast - Wyeast American Wheat 1010 starter from washed yeast

Dry hopped in 2nd with .90 oz 8.9aa Centennial

O.G. 1.047 (spot on Southern Tier website!!) Forgot to take F.G., but made 3-4 wheats with similar grain bills, same equipment and same washed yeast and all finished between 1.010-1.012

Very tasty, especially on a hot day!! Love the centennial flavor.

I think I am going to brew this again this weekend, I drank half my keg this last week!! I think i am going to add some lemon zest to this one though. Not much, probably just a few teaspoons. Let me know if anyone makes this and their results.

Finally got my hands on some more Sun Hop tonight. I didn't remember and was suprised it was very clear. Thinkin they might filter thiers. Next batch i will add some irish moss and crash cool before going into keg. Also, mine has a little bit more hop taste. I like the stronger hop flavor, but if you are going after an idential clone, i suggest knocking back the dry-hop to around the .75oz range! Other than that, think it is pretty close! Enjoy! :rockin::rockin:

I made this and mine just finished at 1.011 from 1.048, putting it right on the money at 4.9% abv. I just put it on the dry-hops, went with 0.75 oz on beesy's advice. I'll post back tasting notes in a few weeks when it's kegged and carbed...

Don't wait a few weeks, keg it right after dry hop and drink as I feel its one of the most important factors in this beer. I even re-dryhopped in the keg before to get some flavor back when it was like half gone. I brewed this again recently with a new hop schedule(more late additions), let u know how it it compares. I still think u will really enjoy the posted recipe. The last batch I left it on primary about 2 weeks too long(pot calling the kettle black, I know), but plan to get to it this week to put on dryhop for 5 days at 62F then right to keg and drink. If u wanna wait to keg, I would suggest transfer to secondary and let it sit there until u feel its ready to go, then do ur dryhop, keg and drink.

My brewing partner made one on Memorial Day... I'll try to get the recipe. It turned out real nice...

EDIT: Here it is....

I have this on tap again right now! I dropped the 6o minute addition to 50 minutes and it turned out nice.

P.S. it looks like ST updated their site, here is a screen grab:

Hop_Sun_Detail.gif

Don't wait a few weeks, keg it right after dry hop and drink as I feel its one of the most important factors in this beer. I even re-dryhopped in the keg before to get some flavor back when it was like half gone. I brewed this again recently with a new hop schedule(more late additions), let u know how it it compares. I still think u will really enjoy the posted recipe. The last batch I left it on primary about 2 weeks too long(pot calling the kettle black, I know), but plan to get to it this week to put on dryhop for 5 days at 62F then right to keg and drink. If u wanna wait to keg, I would suggest transfer to secondary and let it sit there until u feel its ready to go, then do ur dryhop, keg and drink.

I did a 10 gallon batch and have it dry-hopping @ 65*F split in 2 corny kegs (0.75oz in each keg). I think I may pull the hops on one at 5-7 days and let the other go ~10-14 just to compare...

I did a 10 gallon batch and have it dry-hopping @ 65*F split in 2 corny kegs (0.75oz in each keg). I think I may pull the hops on one at 5-7 days and let the other go ~10-14 just to compare...

awesome idea. let us know the results :mug:

well, i didn't really notice a difference in aroma or flavor between the 2 kegs.

this was a great recipe, although if I make it again, I don't think I will use 1010. the real hopsun was a bit cleaner - i think the 1010 contributed a bit too much tart/tang flavor. i'm definitely going to do this again, but will use 1056 or similar.

i've noticed that freshness really matters with the real version of this beer. i got a fresh 6er which was fantastic. i got another from a different location and they were malt bombs (relatively), which I'm assuming is last years stock (low turnover location). when compared to mine, the fresh pack had a brighter, more intense hop flavor and aroma, so I'm also going to increase the late hops, and maybe up the DH a tad.

there is also a short blurb in this months' BYO where they talk to ST about hopsun. he basically confirms the grain bill listed here (2-row, 20-50% wheat, and <5% C60), and says that he prefers a clean strain like chico or pacman.

well, i didn't really notice a difference in aroma or flavor between the 2 kegs.

this was a great recipe, although if I make it again, I don't think I will use 1010. the real hopsun was a bit cleaner - i think the 1010 contributed a bit too much tart/tang flavor. i'm definitely going to do this again, but will use 1056 or similar.

i've noticed that freshness really matters with the real version of this beer. i got a fresh 6er which was fantastic. i got another from a different location and they were malt bombs (relatively), which I'm assuming is last years stock (low turnover location). when compared to mine, the fresh pack had a brighter, more intense hop flavor and aroma, so I'm also going to increase the late hops, and maybe up the DH a tad.

there is also a short blurb in this months' BYO where they talk to ST about hopsun. he basically confirms the grain bill listed here (2-row, 20-50% wheat, and <5% C60), and says that he prefers a clean strain like chico or pacman.

all great comments. i think the last time i did this, i did use 1056 and upped the late additions. next time I brew this (which will be soon) I'll let you exactly what I do (i;ll pull last recipe for reference) and hopefully over the next few brews, keep up with suggestions, and we can get this one nailed down tighty tight. You're right - the freshness of the 6'ers you get to compare to is critical. this is my fav summer drink and can def tell when a 6'er is older. look for the newer packaging as i had some early season in the old packing and the newer ones are for sure in the newer packaging. :mug:

Is there any need to add rice hulls to this? I havent brewed an all grain wheat, and if memory serves me right its recommended to use rice hulls with wheat to avoid stuck sparges. I use a 10 gallon cooler MLT with SS braid.

Is there any need to add rice hulls to this? I havent brewed an all grain wheat, and if memory serves me right its recommended to use rice hulls with wheat to avoid stuck sparges. I use a 10 gallon cooler MLT with SS braid.

i did use rice hulls and would recommend it. they are so cheap, it's just not worth the risk of getting stuck. i use them any time part of the grist doesn't have it's own hull (e.g. wheat, rye, flaked grains, etc...)

depends on your set-up - you know it better than we do. i have never used them and have did 50/50 wheats before and ran off very quickly and didn't have any problems.

So they mention "hints of lemon" but nothing is added to any recipe listed. Would some zest added to the boil work, maybe .5 oz at 5 minuted maybe?

So they mention "hints of lemon" but nothing is added to any recipe listed. Would some zest added to the boil work, maybe .5 oz at 5 minuted maybe?

I thought about doing the same originally. Never did and it turns out fantastic. I might do it once just to see. I'd probably do something more toned down though, like maybe zest of one smaller lemon or weigh out around .10oz. IMHO, half ounce would be WAY too much of you're trying to clone the original- doesn't mean it wouldn't be tasty though.

So This is the only clone I could find so I'm going with it.

Brewing this today. Ordered it all from Austin HB.. Shipping killed me at like $16 to get it here in time, Total order was be about $45 with yeast and shipping (Haven't bought yeast yet).

The grain/hops were only about $23.

1 x CENTENNIAL LEAF HOPS (2 oz) $3.99
1 x Centennial Pellet Hops (1 oz) $1.99
1 x Crystal 60L
- Amount: 1 lb $1.75
1 x Rice Hulls
- Size: 1 lb $1.50
1 x Brewers 2-Row Malt
- Amount: 6 lb $8.10
1 x White Wheat
- Amount: 4 lb $5.60

I'm not sure how exact I will go on the grains. I tend to get bad efficiency so I'll prob put all the 2row and wheat to try to make up for that and just up my Crystal up a little bit. Just gotta run out and get some yeast to make a starter now :)

I'd invite people over to brew but I'm only brewing cause the fiancée just had surgery and is passed out.

Edit: LHBS raised prices on Smack Packs to $9+ 10% chicago tax...

Mash is going strong. Bout to hit it with the Sparge in a minute

So just a follow up... My Sparge got stuck... That sucked. I used about .75lb Rice hulls and no luck.

Then My hop bag broke open so draining the kettle sucked also as I had leaf hops and they like to clog quite well...

Finally, The calculator told me too much water (or I just used too much) so I ended up with too much water so I boiled about 20 min before I started putting in hops then did another hour boil.

Ended up with about 6.5gal or so and a OG of about 1.55 so If it boiled down more it would be a bit higher.

Its fermenting very fast which makes me think maybe it will get some good alcohol content before any baddies set in. (hoping)

I'm going to brew this up this weekend, but my LHBS is out of centennial. I do have about a half oz of centennial and a boatload of cascade, so I'll be using that and upping the quantities needed. I'm wondering where I should use the cemtennial that I do have... Earlier? Later? Dry hopping?
Picked up kolsch yeast too, going to see how well it works for this one!

I brewed this 9.3 and did a side-by-side on 10.7 which gave it about 3 weeks to condition. Mine was slightly darker had better head retention and a stronger hop taste and aroma. To me ST has a lemon/honey taste that comes through towards the finish that I didnt get in mine. All-in-all the recipe provides a beer that is very close to the original. Thanks for posting!!

Anyone try this recipe with either lemon, honey or honey malt to try and get that subtle flavor that comes through on ST?

After reading about this brew I saw a case of this on clearance and picked it up for 14.99 Im am very impressed with the taste. Its very smooth and has a nice light hop flavor, I believe its going to become a summertime regular for me also. :mug:

Any idea what this converts to for an extract recipe
You can start with this, I used Beer Smith to convert.

Southern Tier Hop Sun Clone Extract
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.92 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.14 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 66.13 %
1.78 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 28.52 %
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.35 %
0.65 oz Centennial [10.60 %] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
1.50 oz Centennial [10.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.35 oz Centennial [10.60 %] (15 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.60 %] (5 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.93 %
Bitterness: 36.3 IBU
Calories: 216 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.9 SRM

Thanks. I was surprised to see the caramel malt in there as I wouldn't have guessed that one.
I'll have to give this a go.

Made 10 gallons of this today. Ill report back with how it turned out. Here was the recipe I used :

Og : 1.048
11 lbs 2 row pale
8 lbs wheat
1 lbs 60 crystal

60 minute boil
hops schedule
60 minutes - 1.5 Centennial
30 minutes - .75 Centennial
5 minutes - .75 oz Centennial
1.oz flameout
1 lemon zested flameout
Yeast : S05

Dry hopped 2oz

What is duration of the dry hop, and did you dry hop in secondary? or primary ?

Im assuming Secondary but you never know.

Made 10 gallons of this today. Ill report back with how it turned out. Here was the recipe I used :

Og : 1.048
11 lbs 2 row pale
8 lbs wheat
1 lbs 60 crystal

60 minute boil
hops schedule
60 minutes - 1.5 Centennial
30 minutes - .75 Centennial
5 minutes - .75 oz Centennial
1.oz flameout
1 lemon zested flameout
Yeast : S05

Dry hopped 2oz

I just made it yesterday. I am going to dry hop in the primary After two weeks. I very rarely use a secondary

Did my first Hop, Son! last year (extract). This summer was my BIAB version...blind tasters liked both versions of mine over original...

5 # Two Row
3.5# Wheat Malt
1# Rye Malt (rye not?)
.5# C-60

Centennial:
.75 oz @ 50 min
.5 oz @ 15 min
.75oz @ 5 min.
1.5 oz DH in keg

Pacman yeast!

.7 oz lemon zest @ 7 min

153 degree mash

60 min boil

Numbers on par w/ ST original:

1.046 OG
1.006 FG
38 IBU
5% abv

This is one beer that will be staple of summer brews!!

Had my first pints of this last weekend and it was great. I posted the recipe In post #34. Ill post pics soon.... Def brewing this again!

Here's the final product. Tastes great ! Another week or 2 it should clear up nice.

image-490464369.jpg

Back