Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3726 is the only way to go with this one. Mine was down to 1.006 and bottled after three weeks.

I am using 3726 :( It burned down to 1.035 and then stuck, as the website says.

I'm not sure if they're originally French or Belgian but based on their activity I'd guess these guys are French - this is a summary of French statutory time off:

5 weeks[2] +up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, in English : Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week - the "limit" is 39 per week, further additional hours are compensated in almost all the cases by money and not by additional leave hours. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). Furthermore, there are about 10 national holidays (that, though, in many companies are not paid days off, with the exception of the 1st of May, for which a remuneration is compulsory).

I am using 3726 :( It burned down to 1.035 and then stuck, as the website says.

I'm not sure if they're originally French or Belgian but based on their activity I'd guess these guys are French - this is a summary of French statutory time off:

Haha great quote. Im not sure what to tell you then. What temp did you pitch at? When did you raise it to 80?

I pitched and left it at room temp - it's the end of summer down here so was consistently in the 80s day and night. Didn't measure exactly.
Perhaps it was a lack of 02 at the start, and now they're a bit stressed. I don't really want to poke at it any more than I have. I guess it's just a waiting game. The airlock still burps every so often :)

I pitched and left it at room temp - it's the end of summer down here so was consistently in the 80s day and night. Didn't measure exactly.
Perhaps it was a lack of 02 at the start, and now they're a bit stressed. I don't really want to poke at it any more than I have. I guess it's just a waiting game. The airlock still burps every so often :)

Rousing it a little wont hurt anything, it would probably be beneficial actually. Just make sure not to slush it around though, you dont want aeration. Just enough movement to get the yeast mixed back up and tell them to get back to work.

Rousing it a little wont hurt anything, it would probably be beneficial actually. Just make sure not to slush it around though, you dont want aeration. Just enough movement to get the yeast mixed back up and tell them to get back to work.

Ok but if they're unionized and strike I'm blaming you!

I just checked the cellar and I really need to brew this again. I only have like 15 bottles left! If I would change anything, I may cut back a little on the acid malt.

Not sure if I have mentioned this yet, but this is easily the best beer ive made so far. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good saison recipe. You wont be disappointed.

1.009 and tasting delicious! I think this is going into bottles on Sunday, and the yeast is getting put straight back to work on another batch! This time, maybe sorachi ace as the aroma hops and a dab of ginger - what do you lot think?

This recipe scored me a 38 and 3rd place in the French and Belgian ale category of a competition yesterday. I was hoping to do better, but with 300 entries I feel I did good. This was only my 14th batch ever, so at least I continue to improve. Thanks for all the tips Clint! Now I just have to keep re-brewing this until its a perfect 50 :D

Aaaannnnd it's finally bottled! went down to 1.004. Tastes a bit hot at the moment - guess i cant ferment so hot for so long without fusels. Washed the yeast so will try to get another batch going before it gets too cold here.

Got impatient and tried it. One day in the bottle and it's already carbed. Thanks to so long in the bucket it doesn't taste so green. It is still a little sweet from the remaining priming sugar but that yeast is a monster, even in the bottle, when it gets off its arse to work.

FWIW, 3726 is not the Dupont strain as stated in the OP. 3724 is the Dupont strain.

Yeah, I'm THAT guy. :fro:

FWIW, 3726 is not the Dupont strain as stated in the OP. 3724 is the Dupont strain.

Yeah, I'm THAT guy. :fro:

Caution: thread derailment ahead....

For Christmas, my younger son bought me a heavy-duty square shot glass with a pewter plaque on the side. He had it inscribed, "That Dad." :p

By the way, I've been using Belle Saison for the yeast on this recipe; works fine. I'll have to try it with the original recommendation, and see if I can tell a difference.

I'll be in Bozeman in June.... will there be any left and where??
I know they had mentioned that they might be re-brewing it in the future but the original batch went pretty quickly and it was only on tap for a short time.

Caution: thread derailment ahead....

For Christmas, my younger son bought me a heavy-duty square shot glass with a pewter plaque on the side. He had it inscribed, "That Dad." :p

By the way, I've been using Belle Saison for the yeast on this recipe; works fine. I'll have to try it with the original recommendation, and see if I can tell a difference.

I just brewed a few small (2 gal) SMaSH saisons with the belle saison, how did you like it?

I just brewed a few small (2 gal) SMaSH saisons with the belle saison, how did you like it?

I like it a lot. To tell the truth, it's the only yeast I've used since I started brewing last year, except for one time I used Safbrew T-58. That one wasn't my best batch, but I don't think it was the yeast's fault...

I haven't had any problems with stuck fermentations, or anything like that; it always attenuates out well. I've seen a couple of comments somewhere that it doesn't flocculate like some yeasts, but I cold-crash my beers for several days before bottling; the trub hits the bottom of the carboy and stays there.

I got a wild idea the other day, and started wondering how Belle Saison would work on an imperial stout. Hit the google button, and found out people have been using saison yeasts on their stouts successfully. So I'm thinking about brewing a batch in the next couple of weeks, and salting it away to start the New Year with. Gonna need a bigger mash tun, though; the one I have barely handles the grain bill for Shipwrecked Saison.

I like it a lot. To tell the truth, it's the only yeast I've used since I started brewing last year, except for one time I used Safbrew T-58. That one wasn't my best batch, but I don't think it was the yeast's fault...

I haven't had any problems with stuck fermentations, or anything like that; it always attenuates out well. I've seen a couple of comments somewhere that it doesn't flocculate like some yeasts, but I cold-crash my beers for several days before bottling; the trub hits the bottom of the carboy and stays there.

I got a wild idea the other day, and started wondering how Belle Saison would work on an imperial stout. Hit the google button, and found out people have been using saison yeasts on their stouts successfully. So I'm thinking about brewing a batch in the next couple of weeks, and salting it away to start the New Year with. Gonna need a bigger mash tun, though; the one I have barely handles the grain bill for Shipwrecked Saison.

I'd be interested to see how that turns out! One of the local breweries around here does an imperial porter with a Belgian yeast that I absolutely love! The banana and clove flavors really come through in the finish of it, adds a nice complexity to the beer.

Also good to hear about that yeast, I'm thinking about rebrewing this recipe and pitching something along the lines of 3724 or 565 to start and finishing with the belle saison. It turned out well for me first go around but didn't finish with the 3724 and was cloyingly sweet, so nearly undrinkable.

When I brew saisons I don't really worry too much about how it floccs, a little yeast in the glass is okay by me. Unless belle saison tastes bad like a normal ale yeast? I've never used it

When I brew saisons I don't really worry too much about how it floccs, a little yeast in the glass is okay by me. Unless belle saison tastes bad like a normal ale yeast? I've never used it

I'm usually pretty casual about dumping everything in the brew kettle into my carboy. So if I didn't cold crash, my saisons might be more than just cloudy...:p

The cold crash cleans it up so well I don't have any noticeable solids even after I'm done bottle conditioning. I've never quite figured out how I can have enough yeast to thoroughly carbonate without leaving other evidence it was there, but I'm not arguing.

Another batch of this got done today. I aimed for a lower OG - 1.058. Let's see whether generation 2 of this yeast is as lazy as its parents.

The latest generation of the yeasties made it down to 1.006 in 6 days. Who says Generation Y is lazy?
I think deliberately aiming for the lower OG might have left it a bit watery - only time will tell. If anyone's trying this recipe, I would keep it on the strong side, since there aren't many complex sugars coming out of the malts.

Brewed a batch of this up good stuff cheers ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398959497.707923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm watching 3726 work and it's weird. drops quick but doesn't form a tight pellet--a light swirl brings them right up into solution. (even in the jars of saved yeast in the fridge) did go from 1.066-->1.008 in 6 days at 80-90 degrees. looking forward to trying this!

Second batch is in the bottle now. I used saaz instead of motueka this time and in hindsight motueka is definitely the way to go. This batch tastes more pilsenery, like a funky Urquell. The motueka one was more peppery and a bit brighter.

On the other hand it could be just down to inconsistent brewing techniqes :)

This has had great reviews! I'm excited to brew this this weekend.

I'm assuming that Acid Malt is the same or comparable to Acidulated Malt?

That's what the store had.

This has had great reviews! I'm excited to brew this this weekend.

I'm assuming that Acid Malt is the same or comparable to Acidulated Malt?

That's what the store had.

Yep, i just always shorten it to acid malt haha. Good luck, this brew is awesome! I just brewed up my second attempt at this a couple weeks ago but cut back the grist weight and added some left over flaked oats.

Mmmm I like the idea of some flaked oats or barley....

8oz or so maybe, not to much.

My first batch of this is going to have to be with belle saison as the store is out of 3724/3726...

Oh well...it's saison season bring on the warm weather

Mmmm I like the idea of some flaked oats or barley....

8oz or so maybe, not to much.

My first batch of this is going to have to be with belle saison as the store is out of 3724/3726...

Oh well...it's saison season bring on the warm weather

I only had 4oz left so I threw them in. I havent used belle but have heard good things.

I just brewed this up yesterday- I hit 1.064 which is pretty much spot on. I used 3724 and it is steadily chugging along...

I do not have a ferm chamber yet so I improvised and put the fermenter in a tote box filled with water and am using an aquarium heater to heat the water. I started at 70 and am gonna turn it up one degree for the first 4 days and then 2 degrees each day for the next 5-6 days to get it up in the mid 80's.

I will post more updates as things progress...

Just wanted to chime in...

Took a hydro sample today....this is going to be excellent here in a few weeks, and I imagine over the next few months.

Belle Saison took her down to 1.006 in no time at 75-80deg

6 days in and I'm down to 1.020. The airlock is still bubbling. I'll take another reading in a few days and see if it dropped anymore. Got it at 80 degrees now, probably gonna max out at 84-85.

9 days in and I'm down to 1.014. I gave the fermenter a gentle "nudge" and the airlock is spitting out a bubble about every 20 seconds, so I'm confident I can squeeze another 6-8 points out of it.

I've brewed this a couple of times per the recipe, and it was great. I strayed away from the recipe a couple of times, and came out with beer that was good but not great. But I'm incorrigible, and seldom have enough sense to quit while I'm merely not too far behind..... :)

So on to my next bit of recipe fiddling. If I substitute Maris Otter for the pilsner, could I (and should I) reduce or eliminate the Vienna malt? :confused:

You put marris otter in and you'll get some extra biscuit flavor, no? Not quite what is expected in a saison, unless it is an ordinary bitter saison....

Putting together my second round of this recipe. First was really good. Will brew just as soon as this darn humidity lessens a bit.

Cheers,

Sheldon

I'd be curious to know how it goes using MO. I'd make sure to mash low like 146-148 and skip the vienna and you'll be ok IMO. Let us know Sheldon.

Latest posts

Back