Summer Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
Im wanting to brew some sort of beer for the summer (since the summer is coming up ;) ) what are some styles of beer that are normally brewed for the summer months?

homebrewer_99 said:
Something with a light body, light color, and medium to high carbonation.:D

how about a nice blonde ale

3394-Bombshell006.jpg

How about a good hefeweizen or wheat beer?

After mowing the lawn, anything tastes great!

I have a Kolsch-style soon to be bottled.
I am soon to make a hefeweizen.
I will also be making a American Pale Ale.

These are my favorite summer beers. A pilsner would be great but takes too long...

bavarian-style hefeweizen - perfect for summer and one of the fastest brews to make, not to mention one of the best. i STOCK my brew closet and fridge with hefe's during the summer.

homebrewer_99 said:
I am drinking a HW right now and have 2 more kegged and 1 in the primary...:D

Jeez, I gotta get onto the same ferocious brewing schedule as you -- my HW just kicked on Monday and I don't have one on deck, actually out of beer right now!

I second the vote for German style hefe as a great summer (and all year) brew!
If you like bitter brews, you might like something like a Bitburger clone - it's a German pils, but lagering would be the challenge if you're not keeping a spare fridge around.

I like the Blonde idea, but wasn't thinking of beer!!! or of drinking...

LouT said:
Jeez, I gotta get onto the same ferocious brewing schedule as you -- my HW just kicked on Monday and I don't have one on deck, actually out of beer right now!
I brew the beer I drink...hmmm, wonder where I've heard that before???

I don't drink BMC products and sample most commercial brews, so I always have to make certain I have HB on hand.;)

I have 4 brewing and 7 kegs filled and another is tapped...one of my longtime buddies is visiting next week so we'll kill a bunch of brain cells, then a granddaughter is getting married on 10 Jun...there's goes another couple of kegs...maybe I should get to brewing a couple more this weekend because I may be running low after the wedding.....

RichBrewer said:
Here's what I brewed last spring and it was great for summer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=299833#post299833

So I didn't think this deserved it own thread, but fits here I guess.

I have decided that I really don't like the taste og honey in beer. I have had two: Dogfish Head Midas Touch and the Blue Moon Summer Ale. Both advertise to have honey and they both have a taste I really dislike. Anyone else with me?

Is this what mead tastes like? I thought about buying some mead but...

LouT said:
I hope the granddaughter's wedding was awesome this past weekend, Bill.
Actually, the wedding celebration ended earlier than most I've attended. Apparantly too many people had to travel lond distances (over 150 miles).

With that said...Saturday was great! During the week prior me and my buddy killed 4 kegs almost by ourselves. We had help, but they were lightweights in comparison.

Still, I have a HW brewing right now and the rest are kegged.:D

Nice! Killing 4 kegs between two of you -- just to prevent alcohol abuse...
That's dedication!

Just brewed a blonde ale which should be ready in 2 weeks or so. I expect it will be a perfect summer beer. Light color and light body like you were suggesting.

Beerrific said:
So I didn't think this deserved it own thread, but fits here I guess.

I have decided that I really don't like the taste og honey in beer. I have had two: Dogfish Head Midas Touch and the Blue Moon Summer Ale. Both advertise to have honey and they both have a taste I really dislike. Anyone else with me?

Is this what mead tastes like? I thought about buying some mead but...

I havn't tried the BM, but the Midas Touch barely calls itself a beer, so I expected something not quite "kosher" when I tried it. My hop-hating buddy loves the stuff ;)

Anyway, about honey, I've found that it imparts a nice, complex aspect to an otherwise "boring" brew (see: American Wheat). The thing is: honey flavor comes from honey malt, not honey. But the two in kahoots form a beautiful product :tank:

Cheers :mug:

I just bottled a Peach Ale that I brewed a week and a half ago, Just simple 2-row and crystal recipe with some cascade and chinook hops. Just threw a pound and a half of chopped peaches in the primary. Tasted great before carb. I can't wait.

-Justin

Back