Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on the monster - I have a barley crusher but I had problems with mine today. I really should say I was the problem.... I went to tighten my gap a little and misread the paperwork that came with it. I THOUGHT it said the factory gap was .0039 and I wanted to try it a little tighter so I put it to .0035. Well the one roller wouldn't turn and the thing wouldn't crush grain. I spun my wheels a bit then re-read the instructions and it I added a 0 into the mix - .039! oops. Re-gaped and away I went.
Today was such a comedy of errors all I could do was laugh. My biggest enemy is my lack of organization. I really need to get my crap together. All in all though the day is done - the wort is in the fermentor and I came close to my numbers. That ='s a good day.

I actually have a barley crusher, I typed monster as a Freudian slip

I've got a Monster Mill myself, the 2" rollers, and have had no issues with it. Works like a charm. Might upgrade to the 3 roller version down the road for the hell of it.

CidahMastah said:
I have a knock off corona mill (victoria) - wassup now!? ha :D

Oh snap! Cidah, we never swapped bottles of the quad. I'm over at the other building now but I'll still try and bottle one up for ya.

My saison/tripel -- it's a little out of style and is a cross between those 2 -- has been tasting awesome with some age on it. I'm trying to leave it as I think it'll be money in a couple months.

Oh snap! Cidah, we never swapped bottles of the quad. I'm over at the other building now but I'll still try and bottle one up for ya.

My saison/tripel -- it's a little out of style and is a cross between those 2 -- has been tasting awesome with some age on it. I'm trying to leave it as I think it'll be money in a couple months.

Yeah I know I brought one in for you just before I left but you must have been out or running around at meetings or maybe you already moved by then?!

My Belgian golden is coming around, but IMO still needs some age to it.

great to find this. added 2 sacks of gambrinus organic pale ale malt so far.....more later :mug:

Glad to have you along! (27bags total; almost 1/3 of the way there!!!)

If you have any questions on the splits etc let us know. I or someone else will get back to you.

Just added 1 sack tf mopa and closed the vienna split. Been drinking Cidah's celebration for the last week. Do not have the real one to do a side by side but must say that if my memory serves me well from 1 month ago this is pretty much spot on. If you have been thinking about brewing this stop thinking and just do it. You will not be disappointed. Thank you for sharing this.

Just added 1 sack tf mopa and closed the vienna split. Been drinking Cidah's celebration for the last week. Do not have the real one to do a side by side but must say that if my memory serves me well from 1 month ago this is pretty much spot on. If you have been thinking about brewing this stop thinking and just do it. You will not be disappointed. Thank you for sharing this.

Brewed it 8 days ago....waiting impatiently (still in primary).

Nice I am getting at least one more sack of mopa maybe two and possibly another 2 row. Just waiting for my guinness close to age so I can compare the TF mopa vs. the bd mopa. I figure the next buy will be in a few months after this one ends so I better stock up for spring and summer brewing.

Awesome that you like the celebration. I plan on racking mine this weekend and dry hopping for two weeks. Glad you liked it. I am ready for a tasty IPA :D

Racked my single decoction pilsner urquell clone and have 4-8weeks of lagering but it seemed to be pretty solid with no diacetyl. Looking forward to it.

brewing jamils amber altbier tomorrow!

Updated pricing on newly added grains. Also moved Cidah's CM-PALE entry to full bag type 19 since it was already present (removed duplicate). Also added 5 more spaces to the splits section since that was close to filling the 20 available slots. All the formulas should be updated but if anyone sees an error let me know.

Also if anyone wants to be notified via an email any time the sheet is updated (by any user), I can add you to that list. Just let me know.

Jeff B

I had my first properly carbed and poured homebrew stout on nitro today-- it was fantastic. It was an extra version of the guiness clone. A definite rebrew for sure. This is the second stout I've made with dry S-04 and I'm very pleased with it. I've used Notty for several but am going to go with S-04 from here on out.

I had my first properly carbed and poured homebrew stout on nitro today-- it was fantastic. It was an extra version of the guiness clone. A definite rebrew for sure. This is the second stout I've made with dry S-04 and I'm very pleased with it. I've used Notty for several but am going to go with S-04 from here on out.

Great news! So what was your setup/tweak? (line length, psi etc.). I take it you carbed to about 1.2 vols?

Oh yeah added a bag of BZpils and added myself to the c60 split (been tearing through my c60!)

We are at 30 bags!

I'm not sure what the volume works out to but I carbed it at 6 psi before going to beer gas at 25 psi. We actually served this one off a portable tap setup that hooks the faucet right into a quick connect because I'm still building out the setup over at my parents and we couldn't wait any longer to try that stout :) the pour cascaded perfect... I'm rethinking if I need my own nitro setup now

I'm not sure what the volume works out to but I carbed it at 6 psi before going to beer gas at 25 psi. We actually served this one off a portable tap setup that hooks the faucet right into a quick connect because I'm still building out the setup over at my parents and we couldn't wait any longer to try that stout :) the pour cascaded perfect... I'm rethinking if I need my own nitro setup now

I still haven't tried my perlick creamers on the stout to see how they work but have to at some point. That is pretty cool it worked so well. So it cascaded and receded to decent amount of head off a regular tap? Do those direct fit taps have more restriction built in since you are serving direct from the connection?

either way that is awesome...

We used a stout tap, just with a portable shank setup. And yes, it cascaded pretty fast and left about an inch and a half-- I was surprised how it worked but it came awesome.

Hey all been awhile for me, building 3 race cars and planning a wedding and buying a house takes too much time. Got my Sierra celebration dry hopping on week 2, will be Kegging Sunday. Also did a Rebrew of my Coors light clone, fermenting away at 55, getting ready to take it down to 30s for awhile to clear it up and lager.

Doing a founders breakfast clone here soon.

Very cool on all counts!

I was actually looking into that founders breakfast stout clone myself, so that is funny that you are looking at it too. I too have my lager on the chill :D so we are in a similar spot with that and... the celebration! Too funny

I started dry hoping the celebration on Sunday. My brew partner in crime was over to brew the amber altbier and kept saying... oh man that one smells awesome, which one is that?! (talking about the celebration). He was right it did smell awesome and was crystal clear after just over 2 weeks of fermenting! I think he was kicking himself for not being around on brew day for that one. Because I was running solo on that brew day I have two kegs with my name on them!

Brews like those remind you that while nondomestic hops and grains (MOPA, etc) are good stuff, so is plain Jane 2 row and america hops!

added a TF-MOPA and a CM-2ROW.

37 bags!

Wahoo! Looks like we are officially half 44% of the way there!!

Lots of splits:
GW-C60 0.67
BD-RSTB 0.75
CM-RYEM 0.75
TF-CHOC 0.67
TF-AMBR 0.67
GW-C15 0.50
BD-BLCK 0.50
GW-C150 0.25
GB-HONY 0.25 (S/B .5)

Jeff - not sure why but it looks like the BG-HONY malt split isn't adding up correctly. Not sure if there are others out there but spot checking didn't reveal any I could see.

Wahoo! Looks like we are officially half 44% of the way there!!

Lots of splits:
GW-C60 0.67
BD-RSTB 0.75
CM-RYEM 0.75
TF-CHOC 0.67
TF-AMBR 0.67
GW-C15 0.50
BD-BLCK 0.50
GW-C150 0.25
GB-HONY 0.25 (S/B .5)

Jeff - not sure why but it looks like the BG-HONY malt split isn't adding up correctly. Not sure if there are others out there but spot checking didn't reveal any I could see.

Fixed. Looks like someone manually put in the 0.25 into the total cell instead of letting the formula do it. I wish google docs would let you protect cells, but they dont, only sheets. =(

Transferred the Deception Cream Stout to keg yesterday, wow that one tastes good and its not even carbonated yet! The Irish Blonde I did as well is tasty, but it ended up around 6% when it was supposed to be 5%, so the higher % kinda offsets the recipe.

Yeah much easier on me from the front end of these buys. I have a sheet I will still have to enter everything into at the end of the buy, but doing that once when it is all done is much better than as we go.

I really liked the deception recipe. Last night I just got my oatmeal stout at the level of carb and nitro that I like and wow that is really good. This is the second brew I did of the oatmeal stout and the nitro really accentuates the oat flavor IMO. I think it is the light creamy aspect of the head, but it is really quite tasty.

I must say I am looking forward to when this buy will be coming in - I am giving my current grain supply a good kick with all the high gravity stuff I have brewed lately. Also... my buddy just got wife approval for putting in his keg system. Me thinks he will be going through a lot more brew, and wanting to brew a bit more with the bottling task out of the way.

by the way, I have such a ghetto project in the works. If it works out... I will post some pictures... hilarious.

I just received a couple free kegs from a kind stranger at the home brew shop. Brought them
Home to give them a cleaning. The thing is the nuts to remove the posts have a weird pattern I have never seen before? Any ideas? I will post some pictures later if nobody has an idea what they are. Speaking of kegs the source for the possible group buy is in Florida till the end of the month. When he gets back I'm gonna try to negotiate a deal. If he's unwilling to work with us on the price I'm gonna pitch the idea.....

does it look like something this would work on?
12 point socket

I just received a couple free kegs from a kind stranger at the home brew shop. Brought them
Home to give them a cleaning. The thing is the nuts to remove the posts have a weird pattern I have never seen before? Any ideas? I will post some pictures later if nobody has an idea what they are. Speaking of kegs the source for the possible group buy is in Florida till the end of the month. When he gets back I'm gonna try to negotiate a deal. If he's unwilling to work with us on the price I'm gonna pitch the idea.....

I have some of those too. THe 12 pt socket should work. At first I was like wtf?

A lot of posts have a star pattern like that.

As for this next buy, I've barely touched my last round of grain. I've been slacking on my production and need to get my ass in gear!

Cidah, an oatmeal on nitro sounds pretty tastey. I'm really thinking I might need a stout tap at my house now.

So a little update. I brewed my version of kate the great and it has been sitting on oak and just reached time for bottling. Wow.... this stuf is really freakin good, not ready but good. Bottled up the first keg in 22's and ended up drinking a partially filled 22 - I am really glad I brewed 11g of this stuff.

Finished up by bottling the second keg of Denny's bourbon vanilla porter. Tried to bottle a mead but it had overcarbed a bit and I decided to check back with it.

tasting some of these long term agers really inspired me to consider the possibilities of those beers. I think I am going to add another couple bags of 2 row in addition to what I was already planning on. These are forget about beers and now that I had the extra kegs I had flexibility in brewing.

Mparsons - keep up the good work on the keg buy!

A lot of posts have a star pattern like that.

As for this next buy, I've barely touched my last round of grain. I've been slacking on my production and need to get my ass in gear!

Cidah, an oatmeal on nitro sounds pretty tastey. I'm really thinking I might need a stout tap at my house now.

Get your priorities in line man!! *sips oatmeal on the nitro*

Ha! farmhouse has a nice nitro tap (really like it). As screwy as it sounds I have been considering adding a second nitro :eek: In reality though, there are way too many things in front of that purchase.

reality is I caught up on some brewing over the holidays since my wife didn't have as much time off as I did. And.... my buddies recent decision to buy a kegging system has pushed more brews into the hopper because he knows kegging is the true paydirt.

One last thing:

Electric brewers - I am planning a rebuild or bigger build on my control panel so I can run 2 5500w elements at once. If anyone is interested in going in on some hardware let me know. In particular a lot of the lights on the electric brewery are cheap if you buy in bulk, but like $20 a piece if you buy solo. I am in no rush, so let me know if you have any interest. I know several guys have contacted me with interest with this, so let me know if you are ready to act.

I need to get some brews in too. Seems there is always something urgent to do. Part of the problem is my lack of fermentors. I stopped up at the LBH and picked up 2 more buckets. That gives me 4 plus a carboy, that I hate to use, so I get things going a bit.

Latest posts

Back