mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman1407

Reaction score
So I was suppose to mash at 152* and heated strike water to about 168* to compensate. Well once I got the grains mixed well I was at 143*. Is there anything I can do and/or am I ok?? Thoughts or suggestions??

Add some boiling water and stir well. If you have brewing software it will make this calculation for you. If you don't have brewing software you'll have to ballpark it or find the calculations somewhere online. Would be nice if you could get it up at least five degrees.

You'll still get beer at 143, but look at this as an opportunity to do a multi-step mash. Give it half an hour or a bit more at that temp and spend the time figuring out how much boiling water you need to add to get your mash temp up to 158. Do another half hour or so at that temp, then mash out!

osagedr said:
Add some boiling water and stir well. If you have brewing software it will make this calculation for you. If you don't have brewing software you'll have to ballpark it or find the calculations somewhere online. Would be nice if you could get it up at least five degrees.

You'll still get beer at 143.

Problem is my tun is pretty much full. Got some water boiling but don't think I could put on enough to make a difference. It's a 90 min mash too so worried there for temp loss

Ok, time for your first decoction! If you have software, have it calculate how much you need to decoct to hit a rest temp of 155 from where you are. Pull a mix of grain and mash water, stiff enough so there is enough water to cover all the grain. Heat it slowly (2 degrees C per minute) to 158 for and hold it there for 15 minutes for conversion. Then resume heating it at the same rate to boiling. Then add it back to your main mash to do your temperature increase. You must stir it very frequently until it boils to keep your decoction from scorching. I always find the decoction volume needs to be increased above what Beersmith tells me: i.e. if it says 4.5 litres, I decoct about 7.

Keep in mind as well your mash will be cooling slightly over this time. You may want to even target 158 to ensure you hit at least 150. After such a long rest in the low 140s you dont' need to worry about overshooting your next temp unless you get over 160.

I know this doesn't help much but before I got a new thermometer I accidentally mashed at near the same temperature. Ended up with a very dry beer, but it was still good. You will just end up with more sugars for the yeast to eat and a higher than anticipated ABV in the end.

Sounds like you didn't preheat your mash tun.....next time, put your strike water (I put all of it) into the tun, and let the temp equalize until you get to your target strike temp. Then add grains. With my system...typical cooler....I just go 11 deg F warmer for my intended mash temp with my equalized tun + strike water. Works every time.

Back