Wyeast 1332 fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
Last Friday I brewed a stout and pitched this yeast:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=139

My basement isn't staying as cool as I'd like, and the beer has been sitting in the 68-72 range throughout fermentation. I've had a nice looking krausen and lots of activity that is just now starting to settle down.

The recommended temp for this yeast is 65-75. Am I ok getting up to 72 at times? I thought about doing a swamp cooler, but I figured that might have been a better idea right at the beginning of fermentation - and during that time I was busy shooting the **** with a buddy & then going to work the next morning.

I just don't want a fruity banana stout...

EDIT: The yeast strain is Wyeast Northwest Ale, by the way

You should be fine. I've used that yeast many times and never have gotten the banana. Mine I usually ferment at 68. Reason being it is a slow and steady worker and sometimes you have to ramp it up to coax the last few points out of it. Good luck

Unfortunately I think mine has spent more time at 70 than 68, but I've been bungee cording reusable ice packs on it & when I change them out regularly it stays around 68.

I emailed Wyeast to ask them about the 1332 and got a reply back within an hour, which was pretty crazy!

The verdict is that 68-72 is fine and that even at higher temperature ranges, the strain produces low esters.

Back