Fermentation Failure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregz

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a batch of German Oktoberfest from a kit. I followed all the directions and sanitized the hell out of everything as I have in my previous brews. My beer has been in primary fermentation for almost a week now but does not seem to be fermenting as there is very little, if no activity in the airlock. The brew is being kept in a steady temperature of around 70 degrees F. Although the recipe uses lager yeast, the directions said that it would work just as well in ale temperatures. I can't figure out why anything would have gone wrong or what he deal is here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only lager yeast I know of that can ferment at those temps is california lager from wyeast. Even that is supposed to be less than 68 degrees. If you didn't make a starter, chances are it will ferment very slowly, even at those temps.

Don't rely on your airlocks. They're deceiving. Check your gravity. If it hasn't moved, then you need new yeast...but it's more than likely just fermenting slowly as lagers typically do.

The air lock in not a valid way to check for fermentation
you should use a hydrometer and test the specific gravity of you brew

the recipe from your kit should provide a gravity range

if I were to guess
your brew should have started around 1.045-1.058
and finish around 1.015-ish

there are several yeasts that work with out lots of activity

take a gravity sample

-Jason

I am currently brewing a batch of German Oktoberfest from a kit. I followed all the directions and sanitized the hell out of everything as I have in my previous brews. My beer has been in primary fermentation for almost a week now but does not seem to be fermenting as there is very little, if no activity in the airlock. The brew is being kept in a steady temperature of around 70 degrees F. Although the recipe uses lager yeast, the directions said that it would work just as well in ale temperatures. I can't figure out why anything would have gone wrong or what he deal is here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What yeast and where did you buy this kit

-Jason

Latest posts

Back