Equipment suggestions needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
I am sure there has been a thread or 2 about this. I actually have read most of them...I also do not want to hijack someone else's thread...just rude! I also want to thank anyone with advice upfront, so thanks ahead of time.

Well, I came into a small chunk of money, SWMBO wants me out of the kitchen and I want to be able to do 10 gallon AG batches. I am now going to be in the market (on a tight budget) to build this and this is what I am thinking...

Boil kettle = keggle already have a SS 1/2 barrel just waiting to be modded so, I think I have that covered. More than enough tuts on that.

MLT = 10 gallon rubbermaid round victory cooler just as the tut in the DIY section talks about.

I am really leaning on getting the SQ14 burner.

Here are my questions:

Is this burner salvageable when I build a brew stand (that when was if but who am I kidding...?)?

Do I need a HLT? I am pretty much guessing the answer is yes but I am unsure what would be the optimal purchase on this. I do eventually want to get another keggle and brew stand (brutus 10?) for this but funds are just not in the cards ATM for all that. Should I just empty the MLT into an ale pail for now and then transfer the wort to the keggle for boiling after sparging? or do most people heat the water and store it in a separate cooler that is then used to sparge with? This stage just seems like alot of shuffling hot liquid around lol...and I seem to be getting lost

At this point I am still in the planning stages and really need to spend wisely and try to "future proof" or be able to reuse parts as much as possible. I do have a few kettles and the basic equipment for stove top brewing doing extract/PM.

Thanks again for any ideas/help/suggestions or guidance! :rockin:

I think you have the right ideas, use your old stock pots for a HLT, I preheat my strike water in the boil pot and pump into the MLT but you can bucket it.
then use a 5 or more gal stock pot to heat you sparge water..10 gal batch will need around 6 to 8 gal sparge, cold sparging with the last 2 or 3 gals wont matter or hurt
so whats left.
boil pot pick up= false bottom or braid?? or copper pick up,??

yes you can salvage the burner from the stand

how do you plan to sparge? fly or batch?

If you fly sparge, you will want an insulated (or heated) HLT so that you can keep sparge water at the proper temp for the long sparging process.

If you batch sparge, you can easily get away with "any container" as an HLT becaue it literally needs to only hold your hot water for a few minutes.

I always used the cheap 8 gallon aluminum pot that came with cheap wal-mart turkey fryer as my "HLT" (I batch sparge). An ale-pail would also be fine for this.

Ok Thanks for the advice it is very comforting to know I am not in deep left field here!

My boil pot/keggle I am thinking I would use a copper tube at a right angle inside the keggle.(that seems to be the configuration I see the most.)

I am also planning to use a copper pipe w/ holes (copper tubing manifold) in the bottom inside the MLT.

A am thinking I will be batch sparging for now.

Back