Anyone routinely change plastic pails at some point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachman

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now and despite pretty good efforts, the plastic pails both have some discoloration and probably a few scratches. I have had two batches out of about 20 get "infected" along the way. Just wondering if everyone simply cleans more as stuff gets older (oxyclean, etc) or if they just replace the plastic pails every so often (and if so, how oftern).

I don't use anything but a sponge inside my plastic buckets, so I can't see any scratches. I cleaned the stains off once by soaking in an Oxi-Clean solution, but since the stains came right back, I just don't worry about it. My oldest bucket is about two years old, and still fermenting away.....

I use nothing but my fingers to clean the pails. I NEVER put ANYTHING else in them, not even the lid.

I think most infections are introduced into cool wort before the primary.

Do you ever stick something that was pre-boil into the wort after it was cooled without rinsing and sanitizing? Thief, wort from hydro before boil, thermometer?

I've never had one infection, and I'm not the most attentive brewer...

It really depends on how you handle your pails. I don't stack them together nor do I use them to store or carry anything but beer. I've had mine for a while and they are very pristine.

After use, I soak them with oxyclean, rinse well, air dry on their sides and put the lid back on.

I've been using the same ones for six or seven years. If the discoloration displeases you, fill the pail with water and add about a quarter cup of bleach, then let it sit overnight. When I sanitize, I put about three gallons of water into the pail with sanitizing solution and rinse everything thoroughly. Never had an issue. Sanitizer is cheap, don't spare it.

I've been using mine for two years. Not a single infection.

I use a washcloth to clean mine.

An overnight soak with Oxiclean after every fermentation seems to be working for my bucket (and carboy).

I use food grade liners. Reynolds Turkey bags.

Never had an infection and the surface in contact with the beer is new with every brew.

I still use m original bucket from 2001.
1: rinse with high pressure water
2: overnight oxiclean soak
3: rinse with high pressure water

I stick my lid into the bucket to clean/sanitize it also. Never had an infection in the 50 or so batches that it has seen. I sanitize with StarSan, and give it 5+ minutes of contact time, and dump that right before filling.

Thanks all. I'm going to keep going with what I have and just make sure to use plenty of sanitizer.

Latest posts

Back