What temp do you set your ferm chamber to ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
I'm using a converted chest keezer with a Ranco temp control. Just wondering what temp setting you are all using ?? I know it varies based on yeast, I mostly brew ales so I shoot for around 65 dg. +/-

Question is, I know fermentation will raise the internal temp of the ferm bucket/carboy. Ranco probe measures temp inside the keezer.

Do you lower your keezer internal temp to compensate for the raised temps of the fermentation

Just wondering what everyone is doing.
Thanks

tape the probe to the side of your most active fermenter. that gets a better reading that air without having to be invasive and putting the thing into the fermenter directly.

I set my chamber at about 66*F and do the taped-on thing.

This question gets asked almost daily.

Set it to 60 with 5 degree differential to keep wort at 65.

You MUST have a stick on thermometer on EVERY bucket/carboy or else you will never know the real temperature.

Depends on the yeast. I normally ferment at the mid or low range that the yeast requires. Usually that is in the mid 60s. My fridge Ranco is set with 1 deg differential with the probe taped to the carboy. If I want to ferment at 68, I don't want the wort to ferment at 73 or 63. It may be hard on the compressor, but I paid 25 bucks for the fridge, so no loss to me really and well worth the consistent results. I have stick on thermometers on my carboys. Sometimes the fermentation temp is higher than what the Ranco actually says, so yes, I sometimes have to compensate by raising the Ranco 1-2 degrees above what I actally want to ferment at.

Hammy71 said:
Depends on the yeast. I normally ferment at the mid or low range that the yeast requires. Usually that is in the mid 60s. My fridge Ranco is set with 1 deg differential with the probe taped to the carboy. If I want to ferment at 68, I don't want the wort to ferment at 73 or 63. It may be hard on the compressor, but I paid 25 bucks for the fridge, so no loss to me really and well worth the consistent results. I have stick on thermometers on my carboys. Sometimes the fermentation temp is higher than what the Ranco actually says, so yes, I sometimes have to compensate by raising the Ranco 1-2 degrees above what I actally want to ferment at.

If you do what I posted above you, the fermenter will stay at 65*. The air in the freezer swings much quicker than the wort.

In fact, your way swings more than mine since by default your wort must reach 69 for the fridge to kick in and lower it back down to 68. Mine would stay at 68 the entire time while the air temp would swing from 63-68.

I used to tape the probe to the side of my fermenter (insulated from the air temp with paper towels), and would typically try to set it ~1 degree cooler than necessary.

Now that I have this, I just set it to my desired fermentation temp.

tape the probe to the side of your most active fermenter. that gets a better reading that air without having to be invasive and putting the thing into the fermenter directly.

+1 This method works great and will compensate pretty well for the heat generated by the fermentation process.

thats actually what i have been doing, I was just looking for opinions, so i looks like i'm doing it right.

I actually just installed a 2nd Ranco dedicated to the ferm chamber. I have 2 keezers, 1 I use to store and condition the cornies. i was shutting it down, and moving the probe to the ferm keezer when brewing. Once i forgot to move the probe, and a batch got away from and me and the ferm temps got way out of hand. problem fixed now with the 2nd Ranco.

Back