would this be drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Tinkering with beer calculus and a few ingredients and yeast that I have. I am clueless on making recipes so I wondered what this would taste like.
5 GALLON BATCH

15 pounds 2 row
10 pounds pilsner
3 pounds dark candi sugar
10 oz crystal 20
10 oz crystal 60
10 oz crystal 80

mash at 156-158 for 60 minutes then a 2 hour boil from 8 to 5 gallons
1oz nugget at 60
1 oz centenniel @ 5

trappist ale wlp500 yeast fermented at room temp

That is going to be one huge belgian. Can that yeast even withstand that high of an ABV? Beersmith is saying this one is going to be over 16% even if it finishes around 1.040 assuming 75% efficiency. You're probably going to need to age this one a while before it's drinkable.

27 lbs of grain + 3 lbs of sugar.

Can you mash that much? Works out somewhere around 1.190 OG. Good luck finding a yeast to start that. And you will probably finish really high, a really sweet tasting beer.

What are you trying to do. A Belgian Blonde. Can't do much else with that yeast.

Try something like:

10 lbs grain (2-row or Pilsner)
0.5 lbs of Crystal 20 (not really required)
1 lb of Candi sugar.

That will give you around 1.065/1.070.

Mash low (148/150).

Keep Hops low about 7 HBUs (AAs x ozs) at 60 minutes.

Use centennial for finishing, split the oz for 1/3 at 15, 1/3 at 10 and 1/3 at 5.

Ferment high (mid 70s).

At least this will give you beer.

That is going to be one huge belgian. Can that yeast even withstand that high of an ABV? Beersmith is saying this one is going to be over 16% even if it finishes around 1.040 assuming 75% efficiency. You're probably going to need to age this one a while before it's drinkable.
supposedly the yeast can hit about 15%. I will obviously make a huge starter or may even brew a smaller beer and pitch on the cake. I am just tinkering....I do that when I am bored.
Beer calculus says FG of 1.032 so yeah it will be sweet and I have no issue with aging it a long time. I prefer brewing to drinking anyway ( weird huh) NOW would the hops need to be upped to balance the sweetness or just go with the idea of a big malty sweet beer? Also with the required aging I will lose a bunch of hop flavor ( correct?) so should the bittering be upped to compensate?

I would suggest incremental feeding of the sugar, at least. You might want to increase the amount of sugar that you have in the recipe to get the attenuation to make it actually drinkable. Also, +1 to OHIOSTEVE, a huge starter is something that is necessary in this case.

Also, keep in mind that your efficiency is going to be much lower than usual unless you increase your boil time significantly.

I would suggest incremental feeding of the sugar, at least. You might want to increase the amount of sugar that you have in the recipe to get the attenuation to make it actually drinkable. Also, +1 to OHIOSTEVE, a huge starter is something that is necessary in this case.

Also, keep in mind that your efficiency is going to be much lower than usual unless you increase your boil time significantly.

Already figured the efficiency as being much lower. I get about 75% normal beers but on bigger ones I drop WAY down so I figured this at about 60%.

Drinkable? Yes. That said, it's going to be extremely sweet and alcoholic. For a 5 gallon batch I come up with an OG of 1.162 :eek: and 20 IBUs. Assuming you get a high attenuation, you're looking at 1.040 FG and 15.5% ABV. I'd cut your fermentables in half (roughly) and add another ounce or two of hops.

1660-your-beer.jpg

Edit: Damn slow photo editing skills. I'd agree with mashing low and incremental sugar additions.

Back