Re-using dry-hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I was just thinking to myself.. I'm brewing two slightly different Celebration Ale recipes, both of which use the same amount and type of dry-hops. Do you think you could use the same hops (in a paint strainer bag) in the second 5 gallon batch I'm doing? I'm going to dry hop this batch in 5 days and brew my next batch at the same time. Going to leave the hops in the first batch for 5-7 days. I wonder if you can use the same hops to dry-hop with in the second batch, or do you think all that is needed from them is used up and absorbed in the initial dry-hopping. Hmph, I wonder. It's 3 a.m. and I was just thinking to myself. Quick thoughts?

Once they've been used for dryhopping, they've given up those oils and you won't get more out of dryhopping them again.

However, I've heard of people reusing them in the boil for the next batch! The theory is that the IBUs would still be there, as the isomerization of the hops oils only happens during the boil. I can't remember the experiments exactly with that, but during the hop crisis, people were doing all they could to get everything out of their hops. If I remember correctly, it worked fine.

I have thought about this many times as well. Would be a good experiment for an IPA, can never have to many hops right?

Yeah, this topic just kinda of drifted into my mind. Maybe I'll try using them as bittering hops one of these days. I'm not in a tight spot with my hops or anything, but I figure if you can get the most out of them, then why not!

After a week, or so, all of the oils are leached out. If I want more aroma, I pull them and add some more, so I doubt they'd do much for a second batch.

After a week, or so, all of the oils are leached out. If I want more aroma, I pull them and add some more, so I doubt they'd do much for a second batch.

Good to know, was just curious :cross:

Yeah, this topic just kinda of drifted into my mind. Maybe I'll try using them as bittering hops one of these days. I'm not in a tight spot with my hops or anything, but I figure if you can get the most out of them, then why not!

Just wanted to report in and say that I did use the 3oz of dry-hops in an (I)IIPA, using 1.5oz as a mash hop and 1.5oz as a 90 minute hop. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Back