Saison Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUnited

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have my Saison just starting to bubble. I have heard after a day or so to allow it to get into the 80's temperature wise. What is your opinion on that?

Andy

Mashed at 149-151. (60 minutes) Rinsed at 164.

Used WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend

Info below.

This blend melds Belgian style ale and saison strains. The strains work in harmony to create complex, fruity aromas and flavors. The blend of yeast strains encourages complete fermentation in a timely manner. Phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors are also created.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 70-80°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Many Saisin brewers (as per the temp range of the yeasts) into the 90's even.

I had mine up words of 88 in my apartment for the first three days....I sat in my bedroom with 2 fans going...

It's worth it, the hydro samples taste awesome.

Feeling the urge to leave it in the garage tomorrow until the weekend. I had the Flying Dog "Biere de Garde" and wanted to get it close to that.

Make sure you have another yeast to pitch if the saison yeast craps out at 1.030. I used WLP 565 with a half gallon starter and it died out after three days. I had a vial of WLP 550 and some yeast nutrient waiting in the wings... It started right back up and is now approaching 1.010. This is my first saison but I did a lot of studying on it. I'm not sure of the 568 but it seems most people have trouble with the yeast or they wait a loooong time to finish it out dry. I've had mine fermenting in the eighties and I may yet move it into the attic or garage where it is even warmer. What kind of sugar did you add (if any)? I mashed mine a little cooler at 146 for 90 minutes, used a fairly thick mash, and boiled for 90 minutes trying to get a wort that will finish very dry. THe listed attenuation for the yeast you used tells me you might want to add a second yeast down the road if you want your FG to be below 1.008. I used the 550 but a lot of people use other dry yeasts like a champagne yeast to finish it off.

Added about a pound and a half of light brown sugar. I harvested some yeast off the starter and have another batch going just in case this one sticks. If it doesn't get amazingly dry it won't kill me but would like to get it around 1.025. Started out around 1.090. Would it be wise to wait until the fermentation starts to slow to raise the temp to the 80/90's? Right now it's sitting at 72 in the closet. By the way you all rock for all the advice! =)

Andy

My advice is rig a blow off if you haven't yet, my saison yeast (wyeast) went gang busters on the shugas, I used 2 lbs wild flower honey in a 10 gallon batch

1.025 will be pretty sweet. I'd try to get it a lot dryer than that. Granted, you did start with 1.090. You should still be able to get it below 1.015 by adding a second, well attenuating yeast. You might even want to try a champagne yeast. Are you bottling or kegging? I would definately be afraid to bottle anything with that high of a gravity. Saison yeasts are famous for long and slow ferments. You migtht get some bottle bombs there.

I'm sure it will be great. Mine stopped bubbling again. I just checked it a few minutes ago. I moved it into the garage yesterday hoping to warm it up even more. The garage cooled down overnight so hopefully, now that it's getting hot again, it will perk back up. I'll take another hydro reading later today. I can't remember what it was a few days ago but I'm thinking it was around 1.015.

The yeast blend the OP is using combines the Abbey yeast(i think) and the Saison yeast, so he won't need to add a second strain. It was designed because of the way the Saison strain craps out. Heat it up and agitate it, that's all it will need.

I just checked the gravity on my saison. I'm down to 1.010 and I'm hoping to squeeze a few more points out of it. Maybe I'll move it from the garage to the attic next. My OG was 1.066 so I guess getting down to 1.010 isn't TOO bad if that is all I can do.

Back