March Pump Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I have a March pump which I purchased from Midwest Supplies. It works great once it gets primed. I use it to pump hot wort through a counter flow cooler and into a corboy. The problem I have I can't prime the pump whin it is hooked up to the CFC. I have to disconnect the the hose from the CFC then get it started by pumping a small amount intp a pitcher then hooking it back up to the CFC after that it pumps great. I'm afraid I'll get burned from hot wort one of these days. The pump is several feet below the boiler outlet. Any suggestions?

I have a few tips. The real solution is to plumb in a TEE on the outlet where one outlet goes to a ball valve and the other goes to a hose barb to the CFC. That will allow you to open up an air vent for priming.

Without doing that, you can lower the pump below the kettle outlet and the CFC and orient the outlet of the pump UP so the air can rise into the CFC. It takes about 2 minutes for the bubbles to work out. I plan to try putting an air purge valve in from Home Depot meant for getting air out of hydronic heating systems.

Back