Brewing with well water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
My well water is high in iron.Would a whole house filter help reduce the iron content?..I have had some off flavors in my last several batches.On one hand i'm thinking it could be iron related but on the other hand i've used this same well dozens of times and produced great beer.Is it possible for the same well to produce different water over time?

My well water is high in iron.Would a whole house filter help reduce the iron content?..I have had some off flavors in my last several batches.On one hand i'm thinking it could be iron related but on the other hand i've used this same well dozens of times and produced great beer.Is it possible for the same well to produce different water over time?
Red (iron) water is a PITA to deal with. A standard household filter will not do a very good job. There are iron filters on the market just for that purpose, but they are expensive to install and maintain. If the well water is also low pH, then a neutralizing injector must also be installed ahead of the filter. I know this because my well water is also red water, luckily without hydrogen sulfate. It stains anthing it comes in contact with a muddy red color, sinks, clothes, toilets, etc. There is a rental service here which comes around every month and provides recharged iron filters and sediment filters for a resonable fee, so that's another option. In my case, the city finally brought water through, but that presented a whole new can of worms.....

I also have high iron water that is also highly alkaline. I do AG, dilute my well water with about 37% RO water. I also add a little Gypsum & Lactic Acid to reduce my Residual Alkalinity even further to get my mash ph acceptable. My beers have been very good.

Back