Greetings from Mississippi!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
Hello all!

Im fairly new to home brewing. I brewed my first batch a few years ago (nut brown ale) and it was fantastic. I'm delving back into brewing and reading all I can to learn.

Anyone here from the Jackson, MS area? Anyone know of a homebrew store locally? I have searched with no luck.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to HBT. I feel your pain if you don't have a homebrew supply store in your area. I have to order everything on line. Hopefully you can locate one close to you. Do you still have your brew equipment?

Hi and welcome to HBT. I feel your pain if you don't have a homebrew supply store in your area. I have to order everything on line. Hopefully you can locate one close to you. Do you still have your brew equipment?

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have all my equipment. I may need to get a few bottles and maybe some rubber gaskets for my swing-tops but I have everything else.

Hello and welcome aboard CrawGator. First things first... you a Gator fan... I'm a Bama fan! Gonna be fun in the SECCG!!!

I saw your post on MsBrew blog, didn't get a chance to say hey then, so hey! I'm in Clinton and no there isn't a LHBS. The closest ones are in Memphis, Monroe La, Biloxi, Mobile, and Bham. We do in fact have Mississippi's first homebrew club. We meet every month on the 3rd Thursday of the month (though this month we have a Christmas party at a members home). All are welcome homebrewers or not and we'd love for you to attend and join if you decide it's for you. We conduct club business then have a tasting session, mmmmm! Our google group is; http://groups.google.com/group/hbamm (we are working on a website, but it's under construction. We only officially formed in Aug/Sep. of this year but have accomplished alot to organize etc. we have an AHA registration, bylaws, etc.)

Though I have enough grolsh style bottles to bottle a whole batch, I find it better to bottle in standard 12 oz. bottles. If returning to brewing my one most important advice I can give you is there are 2 things that good beer can not be made without;
1)Good sanitation.
2)Fermentation temperature control. To achieve this it's easily accomplished by simply placing your fermenter into a lg. Rubbermaid tub (14-16 Gallon capacity) filled 2/3rds of the way with water. This stabilizes the thermal mass and allows for heat transfer between the fermenter and surrounding water. In summer and even winter you can add frozen 2-liter bottles to help cool the fermentation during it's height.

The worst off flavors come from an infected batch, haven't experienced it, and out of control ferm. temps, have experienced it!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps Send me a private message/join the google group if you're interested in joining our local homebrew club and growing community of homebrewers. FWIW we're developing competitions, have presentations from BJCP judges, etc. Sorry to be so long!

1st, Welcome, I'm from Natchez and an Ole Miss man.
2nd, DO NOT drive to Monroe, La. the LHBS here is a sad sight.

Hello and welcome aboard CrawGator. First things first... you a Gator fan... I'm a Bama fan! Gonna be fun in the SECCG!!!

I saw your post on MsBrew blog, didn't get a chance to say hey then, so hey! I'm in Clinton and no there isn't a LHBS. The closest ones are in Memphis, Monroe La, Biloxi, Mobile, and Bham. We do in fact have Mississippi's first homebrew club. We meet every month on the 3rd Thursday of the month (though this month we have a Christmas party at a members home). All are welcome homebrewers or not and we'd love for you to attend and join if you decide it's for you. We conduct club business then have a tasting session, mmmmm! Our google group is; http://groups.google.com/group/hbamm (we are working on a website, but it's under construction. We only officially formed in Aug/Sep. of this year but have accomplished alot to organize etc. we have an AHA registration, bylaws, etc.)

Though I have enough grolsh style bottles to bottle a whole batch, I find it better to bottle in standard 12 oz. bottles. If returning to brewing my one most important advice I can give you is there are 2 things that good beer can not be made without;
1)Good sanitation.
2)Fermentation temperature control. To achieve this it's easily accomplished by simply placing your fermenter into a lg. Rubbermaid tub (14-16 Gallon capacity) filled 2/3rds of the way with water. This stabilizes the thermal mass and allows for heat transfer between the fermenter and surrounding water. In summer and even winter you can add frozen 2-liter bottles to help cool the fermentation during it's height.

The worst off flavors come from an infected batch, haven't experienced it, and out of control ferm. temps, have experienced it!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps Send me a private message/join the google group if you're interested in joining our local homebrew club and growing community of homebrewers. FWIW we're developing competitions, have presentations from BJCP judges, etc. Sorry to be so long!

Good info! Thanks for taking the time for the detailed response. PM headed your way!

i know this is older post but may i ask where in biloxi or name i been in biloxi a few year and now wanting to brew again n try to find a place

Latest posts

Back