Tons of particulate in 2ndary....filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
It's about time to bottle, but there is a lot of particulate floating around. I dry-hopped (heavily) a week or so ago, but much of it is still hanging around up top. That would be fine, but there's also a WHOLE LOT still in suspension in the beer. Some particles going up..some going down....I don't think any amount of time is going to clear this up.

Can I siphon into another bucket/carboy but run it all through cheese cloth??....or would that potentially oxygenate too much?? Ideas? Really, I think this would make for an ugly (if tasty) beer the way it is.

If you have the ability to stick your fermenter in a fridge for a day or two to cold crash that will help out quite a lot. Here's a post (#9) from another thread where a guy accidentally cold crashed.

Here is a picture of an accidental cold-crash in a secondary - I had racked to my secondary the night before and the temps in my garage dropped down into the low 40's unexpectantly. You can see how much difference just a few hours of cold crashing can make. Thanks again to Bobby M for letting me know what happened.:mug:

View attachment 6826

Here is the link to that thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/cold-crashing-question-73288/

Back